12.1744, Jobs: Researcher of Internet Grammar, Saxony Germany

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 5 18:55:49 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1744. Thu Jul 5 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1744, Jobs: Researcher of Internet Grammar, Saxony Germany

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Heather Taylor-Loring <heather at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  3 Jul 2001 08:36:28 -0000
From:  Josef Schmied <realcentre at phil.tu-chemnitz.de>
Subject:  REsearcher of Internet Grammar linguistics, educational: graduate at Chemnitz University of Technology, Saxony Germany

Date:  3 Jul 2001 08:36:28 -0000
From:  Josef Schmied <realcentre at phil.tu-chemnitz.de>

Rank of Job: graduate
Areas Required: linguistics, educational
Other Desired Areas: computational
University or Organization: Chemnitz University of Technology
Department: English Language and Linguistics
State or Province: Saxony
Country: Germany
Final Date of Application: 31 August
Contact: Josef Schmied realcentre at phil.tu-chemnitz.de

Address for Applications:
Reichenhainer Str. 39
Chemnitz
Saxony 09126
Germany

Research vacancy: Internet Grammar

The English Department at the Chemnitz University of Technology is
looking for a graduate (linguistics/languages/teaching/...) with good
Internet-computing skills to join our research project as soon as
possible. Information on the project "Learner Behaviour in the
Internet Grammar" can be found following this link

http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/InternetGrammar/

The position would be initially for one year with payment on the Bat
IIa/2 (Ost) scale and the salary level dependent on age and
experience.

What is the Internet Grammar?
We are building a web-based grammar-learning environment, for advanced
learners of English. We use material from a variety of corpora,
including our own English-German Translation Corpus, to provide
learning material and exercises.

Your tasks would be:
(a) to help extend the functionality of the grammar, both for users and
researchers, through the development of new features and the improvement
of existing ones;
(b) to assist with the extraction and analysis of learner data;
(c) to maintain the existing structures, which involve html documents,
cgi scripts, corpus search facilities and interactive animations, as
well as conventional elements of a web-site.

Qualifications:
You will have a degree in a relevant subject and be able to show
possession of the necessary software skills - such as cgi, perl or
javascript, in addition to html - or a willingness to acquire them
very rapidly. You should also have an interest in the use of the Web
and corpora for language teaching and learning. You should enjoy
working in a team and value the opportunity to help with the further
development of our project. The working language of the project is
English, so fluency would be a definite advantage.

Working in Chemnitz?
Apart from the satisfaction of helping to see an exciting research
project to its completion, you would have the advantage of a
stimulating university environment in a city which is growing and
changing every day.

Please email your  CV and covering letter as soon as possible,
preferably by July 16, to:
Prof. Dr. Josef Schmied
realcentre at phil.tu-chemnitz.de