12.1767, Qs: 'Special' Antonyms, SAE in Black Communities

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 9 23:36:42 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1767. Mon Jul 9 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1767, Qs: 'Special' Antonyms, SAE in Black Communities

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Fri, 6 Jul 2001 05:28:51 -0500
From:  "Dan Everett" <Dan.Everett at man.ac.uk>
Subject:  special antonyms

2)
Date:  Thu, 05 Jul 2001 20:27:40 -0400
From:  Robert Trammell <trammell at fau.edu>
Subject:  STANDARD ENGLISH IN BLACK COMMUNITIES: A SURVEY

Date:  Fri, 6 Jul 2001 05:28:51 -0500
From:  "Dan Everett" <Dan.Everett at man.ac.uk>

I know that this was discussed on the list some time ago, but I have
forgotten the term that refers to a pair of antonyms where each member
of the pair has the same phonetic shape. For example, 'Stand *fast*'
vs. 'Run *fast*' where *fast* means both 'still/motionless' and 'rapid
movement'. I would appreciate it if someone could tell us what the
term is for such pairs and, if possible, what studies exist of this
phenomenon.

Thanks,

Dan Everett