12.1791, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 11 21:37:02 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1791. Wed Jul 11 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1791, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:56:50 -0600
From:  "Bruce Despain" <DespainBD at ldschurch.org>
Subject:  Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

2)
Date:  11 Jul 2001 20:09:06 EDT
From:  Lotfi at www.dci.co.ir
Subject:  RE: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

Date:  Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:56:50 -0600
From:  "Bruce Despain" <DespainBD at ldschurch.org>

I want to respond to Dan Everett on his discussion of the "non-objects" of
syntactic theory.  I think that for syntactic study, we may substitute
mathematics or any field of that subject.  His basic thesis would then be
that in mathematics there is in principle no object of study. Alternatively,
there is in-principle no way at getting at that object, however clear it
may sound conceptually.  This is because mathematics is a tool for
modeling the world.

Now if we want to study syntax (a field of mathematics) we are a further
step removed from the world.  At this point we are modeling a model.  We
ask such questions as how to make models, what makes a good model, why
features does a good model have, etc.

What is an I-language?  People model the world in a naive way because they
are human and don't understand it fully.  The language to describe that
world is an inherited social construct, that is forever being revised and
updated to accommodate new understandings that need communicating.
Certain grammatical features that may originally have been meant to model
the world, such as gender for inanimate objects (or even gender for
snails!), are now taken as no longer useful, sexist, or at least less than
ideal, semantically speaking.  Yet syntactic theory still studies the way
such morphological features, whether they exist or not, are modeled in
language.  Natural language is no better than mathematics in this regard.
Physics studies the world in terms of a mathematical model.  There are
certain logical consequences of that model.  So also natural language
models the world.  But until natural language is given a logical model
(relationship to a logical syntax), it will not be possible to delineate
its logical consequences or its efficiency as a model.

An I-language can be nothing more than a set of modeling tools available
for building a syntax capable of canonizing an understanding of the world.
The canonization (grammaticalization) of understanding is the pragmatic
part that will forever fail as long as there are different cultures and
different languages reflecting them.  The syntax is constructed in terms
of rules and their interrelationships as dictated by the I-language
modeling tools.  This is the cartesian part that will never reflect the
real world, except to the extent that some branch of mathematics gives us
insight into some part of the ideal world.

I have more solid aurgumention for the mathematical modeling in the first
few chapters of my grammar at:

http://www.burgoyne.com/pages/bdespain/grammar/gramtoc.htm

Bruce Despain, armchair linguist