12.1804, Jobs: Information Extraction Research, Edinburgh, UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 13 12:12:15 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1804. Fri Jul 13 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1804, Jobs: Information Extraction Research, Edinburgh, UK

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Heather Taylor-Loring <heather at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:24:02 +0100 (BST)
From:  Claire Grover <grover at cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Subject:  Research Fellow in Information Extraction, Edinburgh LTG

Date:  Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:24:02 +0100 (BST)
From:  Claire Grover <grover at cogsci.ed.ac.uk>

Research Positions in Edinburgh:  Information Extraction;

The HCRC Language Technology Group in the Division of Informatics at
the University of Edinburgh is a world leader in Natural Language
Processing and XML research and development.  We are looking for two
people to join our team to work on two projects funded by the EU and
by the UK EPSRC in the areas of Information Extraction and Corpus
Markup Architecture.

Appointment 1: Research Fellow in Information Extraction

The Language Technology Group has an established record in the area of
named entity recognition and is extending this work into information
extraction in general. Our technology is based around XML and combines
symbolic and statistical processing. We are looking for someone with a
background in statistical NLP and/or information extraction to join
our information extraction team. The successful candidate would work
primarily on a European-funded project which applies information
extraction techniques in the e-retail domain.

We are looking to appoint someone with a background in statistical NLP
and/or information extraction, with some knowledge of XML, and
preferably with experience programming in C, C++ or Java. If you are
interested in working in a stimulating environment where you will not
only take responsibility for carrying out a part of our information
extraction research, but also have the opportunity to contribute to
other LTG projects in areas such as information retrieval, text
summarisation, corpus creation and annotation and XML tool creation,
we'd like to hear from you.

The ideal candidate will hold a degree in Computer Science,
Artificial Intelligence, Linguistics or a related discipline and will
have experience in the development and implementation of XML or
SGML-based systems.  If s/he has programming expertise in one or more
programming languages, with a preference for Python, Java or C, and
experience with PC-based or Unix-based application development
environments, that would be a definite advantage.

Appointment 1 is for a fixed term of 2 years and will be on the AR1A
salary scale, 16,775 -- 25,213 p.a, or AR2 scale 23,256 -- 30,967 p.a.
Informal enquiries to grover at cogsci.ed.ac.uk

Please quote ref: C16579 for Appointment 1

For further particulars and application pack visit our web site
(http://www.ed.ac.uk) or telephone the recruitment line on 0131 650 2512
The closing date is Friday 10 August 2001.