12.1845, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 17 23:42:38 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1845. Tue Jul 17 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1845, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:13:38 -0700
From:  "John Goldsmith" <ja-goldsmith at uchicago.edu>
Subject:  RE: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

2)
Date:  Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:32:30 +0900
From:  gregg at andrew.ac.jp (Kevin R. Gregg)
Subject:  Re: 12.1823, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

3)
Date:  Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:25:18 +0000
From:  "Robert R. Ratcliffe" <ratcliff at fs.tufs.ac.jp>
Subject:  Re: 12.1824, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

Date:  Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:13:38 -0700
From:  "John Goldsmith" <ja-goldsmith at uchicago.edu>

Whitney Anne Postman wrote: "In Linguist 12.1819, John Goldsmith
wrote: "it is controversial that that system of knowledge lives in our
brains," where "that system of knowledge" presumably refers to human
natural language.

"My first question is, If language does not originate in our brains,
then where?"

JG: These are very tough questions, harder still to answer coherently
in a few lines. I make the following agreement with myself (which I
commend to others): I won't do linguistics professionally unless I can
provide myself with a coherent account of what I think I'm doing. I
also have some hopes and suspicions about what will some day turn out
to be true (about brains, language, and so on). But! the coherent
account that I owe myself can't _assume_ the truth of what I hope
someday we'll find out. What this means in practical terms, for me, is
that I owe myself an account of linguistics whose coherence is based
on the actual and practical activities of linguists studying people
and their speech (etc.).

Now, I'm very interested in neural networks, and the field of studying
neural networks is more or less a subfield of applied math that tries
tore out how knowledge structures can be embodied with particular
sorts of structures. This is, to me, an extremely exciting area, even
though results worth reporting back to the LSA at this point are
minimal.

So I'm fascinated -- me too -- by brains and their relation to
knowledge, but we know LOTS about language, and relatively little
about how the brain can be directly involved in embodying that
knowledge. You and I may _believe_ the brain is doing all that, but
that belief isn't a sufficient grounding for the field of
linguistics. And I believe that there _is_ a sufficient grounding for
linguistics: it has to do with the character of the research that we
linguists do in exploring how people speak and write.

(This is analogous to the question as to whether we can understand
mathematics by understanding cognition; I find that position untenable
because mathematics has a far stronger valid certainty associated with
it (I mean, we _prove_ things) than anything we know about the brain.
This too is a subject that requires at least a paper, maybe a book!)

"Goldsmith also wrote: "it is (even more) controversial that
linguistics is a scientific theory of something that is in the brain."
As someone who's investigated acquired aphasia (=language impairment
due to brain damage) firsthand, in particular the very real phenomena
of agrammatic production and comprehension of language (Standard
Indonesian, in my studies), I fail to see what is (even more)
controversial here."

JG: Someone who is studying the effects of brain damage on language
production and comprehension is undoubtedly studying brain function --
there's no doubt about that. But that doesn't rub off (so to speak) on
every thing us linguists do: consider two people arguing about whether
there are ternary feet in the inventory of stress patterns, or two
others arguing about whether certain syntactic rules should be allowed
to have access to word-internal morphology -- it's way not obvious
that they're discussing anybody's brain structure or function. That's
all I meant.