12.1852, Qs: Emphatic Pronouns/"Learnability", Mosaic Rhyme

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 19 02:32:27 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1852. Wed Jul 18 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1852, Qs: Emphatic Pronouns/"Learnability", Mosaic Rhyme

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:11:45 +0200
From:  "Bechir Manai" <Bechir.manai at iblv.rnu.tn>
Subject:  On the interpretation of emphatic pronouns and "Learnability"

2)
Date:  Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:48:25 +0800
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Mosaic rhyme

Date:  Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:11:45 +0200
From:  "Bechir Manai" <Bechir.manai at iblv.rnu.tn>

Dear Madam/Sir,

I would be very grateful if you could answer my following questions:

1) a. Why do emphatic reflexives look acceptable only when used with
definite NPs ? Compare:

     I received the parcel i itself i .
    *I received a parcel i itself i.

    It was John i  himself i who received the prise.
    *It was a man i himself i who received the prise.

   b. Related to the above, could you tell me whether the reflexive has
been raised to the position it actually occupies in the surface
structure? If the answer is in the affirmative, I would like to know
where the reflexive originates in the deep structure and whether its
movement has been forced by some other factors?

2) Many linguists working within the framework of generative grammar
would invoke learning principles such as the Subset Principle and
Markedness to argue for the operation of UG in SLA while at the same
time maintaining that such principles do not constitute a part of the
grammar. Isn't this a contradiction?

Thank you very much for your help.

Yours sincerely

Bechir Manai