12.1854, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 19 10:29:23 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1854. Thu Jul 19 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1854, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:52:17 +0530
From:  ashishmehta at express2.indexp.co.in
Subject:  Disc: Non-objects of syntactic study

2)
Date:  17 Jul 2001 09:37:16 EDT
From:  Lotfi at www.dci.co.ir
Subject:  Dis.: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

Date:  Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:52:17 +0530
From:  ashishmehta at express2.indexp.co.in

Well, to begin with, as a beginner I must thank the linguistlist for
the exciting debate going on. I guess (1) at the end of it, it should
be properly edited in one paper for later references, and (2) some of
the " bigger shots" should be invited to contribute if they have
missed out- we'd like to hear from them. I wish to add a couple points
of my own:

Language is something that's there- no doubts about its existence. In
fact, some would say it is the only thing that exists while we debate
its possible existence. However, since it is all-pervasice, a study of
language can be approached in a number of ways, and hence the
hyphentaed branches of linguistics (socio-, neuro-, anthropo-), and
"i-language" is a valid approach by all means. It can be compared to
mathematical systmes, with a proviso that this one has to be verifiable
in reality. If "i-language" is just an imaginary construct of some
individual, then we are dealing with a masochist who unnecessarily has
come up with a weird object of study with all those functional
projections and all. He could have imagined a simpler one that could
have been explained in his lifetime. Meaning, all the proposals so far
have been checked against actual lanaguges, with actual data.

Frankly, this correspondent is a novice in the matters of Philosophy
of Science, but some of the remarks entertained so far convinced me to
contribute to the debate. For example, Larry Trask has pointed out
about what he sees as inconsistencies. I stronly think that the
"beliefs", contra Trask, haven't changed at all, and basic premises
are stil the same as those in 1957. What has changed many times over
are mechanisms, and well, it would be have been grave if they'd
remianed the same. Will anybody belive in UG fifty years from now?
Well, it is nearly fifty years since this enterprise began, and the
idea of UG, as Chomsky with unnecessary modesty points out all too
often, has been around for many centuries. Minimalism is still P-&-P,
with less baggage. Transformational grammar to P&P (or, G-B) was
drastic in mechanism department, yet the "beliefs" had not changed a
least bit.

In fact, the point of debate among generativists ("believers") is
exactly the opposite. That we are coming back to some ideas/mechanisms
originally proposed in LSLT of 1955 or something like that. The debate
is, have we come a full circle? I think that's worth another round of
discussion here, though, we certainly have come round with a better
understanding.

Robert Ratcliffe complains about the supposed innateness of proposed
principles. Even in the languages where they are verified on surface,
the principles themselves are argues to be operative only at a deeper
level.  Which brings me to a remark to the effect that "I first put
together an NP, then a VP...". I guess nobody has to do that labour,
and the flowchart of syntax is precisely that- an atemporal flowchart
of autonomous processes. When I read, I don't have to tell my eyes to
do certain things followed by similar instructions to my brain.

I hold my "faith" in the object of sytanctic study on the basis of
some real/actual/"scientific" evidences that I keep hearing of, say,
the conclusions from experiments in psycholinguistics (on parsing,
using eye-trekkers to see how we construct trees or revise them in
case of Garden Path sentences and so on), or findings from
evolutionary biology (like oft-quoted remarks of Gould) and
likewise. I hope somethign comes up in this discussion from that
direction.

	    Ashish Mehta
	    Research Scholar
	    Jawaharlala Nehru University