12.1892, Qs: "Arigato" and "Tempura" Origins

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 25 04:50:19 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1892. Wed Jul 25 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1892, Qs: "Arigato" and "Tempura" Origins

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:14:44 -0400
From:  Karl Teeter <kvt at fas.harvard.edu>
Subject:  Re: 12.1871, Sum: Origins of Arigato

2)
Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:41:20 +0800
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Re: 12.1871, Sum: Origins of Arigato/Origins of Tempura

Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:14:44 -0400
From:  Karl Teeter <kvt at fas.harvard.edu>

By now this may well be supererogatory, but sorry, arigato (with a double
o) just means, in an honorific form, }"I am obliged"--in short the favor
you do me is something difficult to repay.  kvt