12.1893, Qs: Casual Speech Phonology in Japanese

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 25 12:24:51 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1893. Wed Jul 25 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1893, Qs: Casual Speech Phonology in Japanese

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:34:18 +1200
From:  Andrew Carstairs-McCarthy <a.c-mcc at ling.canterbury.ac.nz>
Subject:  Query on casual speech in Japanese

Date:  Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:34:18 +1200
From:  Andrew Carstairs-McCarthy <a.c-mcc at ling.canterbury.ac.nz>

Query: Casual speech phonology, Japanese

A PhD student here, Junji Kawai, intends to do research on phonetic
and phonological differences between 'standard' and colloquial (or
casual) Japanese.   Examples inolve both what looks like lenition
(e.g. [teSimau] --> [tSau]) and what looks like fortition (e.g.
[dekai] --> [dekkai]).  He would be interested to hear about:
(a)  any studies of this phenomenon in Japanese from the point of
view of general phonological theory;
(b)  any studies of differences between colloquial and formal speech
styles in any language in terms of Optimality Theory.

We are aware of discussion of 'allegro' phenomena in 'Natural
Phonology' (David Stampe, Wolfgang U. Dressler).  However, the
difference between standard and colloquial speech styles in Japanese
is independent of speed of delivery, so it is not clear that this
work is relevant.

Please reply to me or to Junji <j.kawai at asia.canterbury.ac.nz>.  If
we find out anything interesting, we will produce a summary for the
List.

-  Andrew Carstairs-McCarthy
Professor and Head of Department
Department of Linguistics, University of Canterbury, Private Bag
4800, Christchurch, New Zealand
phone (work) +64-3-364 2211; (home) +64-3-355 5108
fax +64-3-364 2969
e-mail a.c-mcc at ling.canterbury.ac.nz
http://www.ling.canterbury.ac.nz/adc-m.html