12.1902, Jobs: Language Tech Fellowships, Lago Maggiore, Italy

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 26 02:14:04 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1902. Wed Jul 25 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1902, Jobs: Language Tech Fellowships, Lago Maggiore, Italy

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Heather Taylor-Loring <heather at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:37:16 +0100
From:  "Ralf Steinberger" <ralf.steinberger at jrc.it>
Subject:  Scientific fellowships at the EC's JRC - Call for Interest

Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:37:16 +0100
From:  "Ralf Steinberger" <ralf.steinberger at jrc.it>

There is an open call for scientific fellowships at the European
Commission's Joint Research Centre in Ispra near the Lago Maggiore in
Northern Italy. You will find information on this subject at the site
http://www.jrc.it .

For fellowships to work specifically on Language Technology (LT)
applications, please have a look at the Research Fellowships at ISIS
(Institute for Systems, Informatics and Safety;
http://webfarm.jrc.cec.eu.int/isis/opportunities/fellowships.asp). The
JRC work program sections most concerned with Language Technology
applications are I.3.a and I.3.b (Serving the Citizen - Benefiting
from the Information Society). For a brief description of our LT work,
see below.

The team working on LT applications is rather small so that we only
anticipate a very limited number of grant assignments in this field.
Commencing date is likely to be Spring 2002, but the application has
to be handed in by 15 September.

Applications for post-doc grants (Ph.D. or equivalent work experience;
3300 - 5000 Euro/month) with a duration of between 6 and 24 months are
preferred over applications for post-graduate grants (duration of 6 to 36
months; 2300 - 3500 Euro/month).

Current LT activities at the EC's Joint Research Centre

We are a small, multi-disciplinary and international team of
scientists and developers working on a range of applications with
focus on giving cross-language information access to multilingual
textual data. Applications of interest are

- multilingual retrieval of potentially relevant documents using intelligent
agent technology
- document analysis, incl. the recognition of the document language, the
recognition of named entities, the identification of open class and
closed-class keywords, text classification and document similarity
calculation
- visualisation of the contents of single documents (document profiles) and
of whole document collections (document maps)

As we are aiming at eventually covering all eleven official EU
languages, we concentrate on mainly using statistical methods which
can be ported from one language to the other without an enormous
amount of manual effort. For questions, you can contact Ralf
Steinberger. In case of interest, please send a recent CV describing
your experience and interests.

Dr. Ralf Steinberger (ralf.steinberger at jrc.it)
European Commission, Joint Research Centre (http://www.jrc.it)
ISIS - RMDS - AIM