12.1481, Jobs: Natural Language Processing in California, USA

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 4 12:11:13 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1481. Mon Jun 4 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1481, Jobs: Natural Language Processing in California, USA

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Heather Taylor-Loring <heather at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  31 May 2001 18:47:04 -0000
From:  Jason Stoughton <jason.stoughton at kanisa.com>
Subject:  Staff Scientist (NLP): at Kanisa, Inc., California USA

2)
Date:  31 May 2001 19:05:54 -0000
From:  Jason Stoughton <jason.stoughton at kanisa.com>
Subject:  Knowledge Engineer/Architect: at Kanisa, Inc., California United States of America

Date:  31 May 2001 18:47:04 -0000
From:  Jason Stoughton <jason.stoughton at kanisa.com>

Rank of Job:
Areas Required: Staff Scientist (NLP)
Other Desired Areas:
University or Organization: Kanisa, Inc.
Department: Advanced Research Group
State or Province: California
Country: USA
Final Date of Application: ongoing
Contact: Jason Stoughton jason.stoughton at kanisa.com

Address for Applications:
19925 Stevens Creek Blvd Suite 150
Cupertino
CA 95014
USA

Staff Scientist Position Open at Kanisa, Inc (http://www.kanisa.com)

COMPANY DESCRIPTION:

Want to really change the way people use the web? Kanisa's products
employ a combination of cutting edge techniques to provide a dynamic,
multiple-step, dialog-style interaction with end users. Rather than
searching endlessly through masses of content, users on a KANISA
-empowered site engage in an intelligent dialog to drill down to just
the information that meets their needs. Kanisa's applications allow a
company to create a satisfying customer experience and get the right
solutions to the customer. By deploying our technology, our customers
are able, for the first time, to offer a web experience that qualifies
as a true first point of service!

We are a pre-IPO, privately held company that is well funded, has
revenues, customers, and a real technology/product. Our customers
include Microsoft, Cisco, Adobe, Apple, Compaq, MySAP, etc, etc.

OPEN POSITION:

We have an opening for a Staff Scientist in our Advanced Technology
Group. The Kanisa Advanced Technology Group defined and executes
projects in the realm of dialog-style interaction to reduce cool ideas
and marketing notions to mere engineering problems, and then guides the
chosen solutions through the engineering process into our product
offering.

It's a multi-disciplinary applied research group that identifies
technological approaches to desired product and system enhancement,
prototypes the approaches, and guides chosen solutions through the
engineering design and implementation process.

Our projects typically include a mix of domain and problem analysis,
concept generation, defining and building software prototypes, the
evaluation of generated solutions, the designing of production quality
software implementing chosen solutions, and involvement to varying
degrees in the implementation of such software.

The group as a whole deals with the domains of Human/Computer
Interaction, Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Data Mining
and Visualization, and Knowledge Representation. Kanisa has interesting
NLP problems in document classification, corpus analysis, domain
representation, information retrieval, information extraction, and query
analysis. We recognize that some NLP tasks are within computers current
capabilities while others require human knowledge or judgement. We build
tools that elicit needed knowledge and judgement from people at
appropriate points in the knowledge engineerings process and combine it
with knowledge derived from the data.

DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

MA/MSc/PHD or equivalent in Natural Language Processing, Computational
Linguistics, or Compute Science; several years experience in NLP; strong
in some of: Information extraction, NLP for information retrieval,
shallow parsing, text classification, statistical NLP.

Please send inquiries to:

Jason Stoughton

Preferred:

jason.stoughton at kanisa.com (attach resume as a WORD doc.)

or

C/O Jason Stoughton
Kanisa, Inc.
19925 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Suite 150
Cupertino, CA
95014

Areas Required: Knowledge Engineer/Architect
Other Desired Areas: NLP/Computational Linguistics/Computer Science
University or Organization: Kanisa, Inc.
Department: CEA
State or Province: California
Country: United States of America
Final Date of Application: Ongoing
Contact: Jason Stoughton jason.stoughton at kanisa.com

Address for Applications:
19925 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 150
Cupertino
CA 95014
USA

Knowledge Architect/Engineer Position Open at Kanisa:

COMPANY DESCRIPTION:

Want to really change the way people use the web? Kanisa's products
employ a combination of cutting edge techniques to provide a dynamic,
multiple-step, dialog-style interaction with end users. Rather than
searching endlessly through masses of content, users on a Kanisa
empowered site engage in an intelligent dialog to drill down to just the
information that meets their needs. Kanisa's applications allow a
company to create a satisfying customer experience and get the right
solution to the customer. By deploying our technology, our customers are
able, for the first time, to offer a web experience that qualifies as a
true first point of service!

Kanisa is a pre-IPO, privately held company that is well funded, has
revenues, customers, and a real technology/product. Our customers
include Microsoft, Cisco, Adobe, Compaq, MySAP, Apple, etc., etc.

OPEN POSITION:

Knowledge Architect/engineer

Responsibilities:

- Responsible for creating the knowledge architecture for customer
implementations of Kanisa's concept based dialog, personalization, and
retrieval engine, working with top tier high tech and financial services
customers.
- Responsible for creating multi-faceted conceptual models (knowledge
maps) of collections of content
- Work with customer Subject Matter Experts to understand the facets of
the content space and their inter-relationships
- Participate in improving our knowledge engineering processes and best
practices
- Work with implementation project managers, user interface experts,
subject matter experts, and QA engineers.

QUALIFICATIONS:

- Previous experience in architecting large custom applications,
particularly knowledge based systems, web based systems, and/or
information retrieval related applications.
- Experience in implementing highly interactive systems
- Experience in projects using content management, text classification,
rule based systems, and/or information retrieval techniques.
- Experience with knowledge structures such as taxonomies, ontologies,
information flow diagrams a plus.
- Comfortable with basic script level programming
- Proven track record of working well with customers and subject matter
experts
- Willing to travel occassionally to client locations (less then 25%)
- Degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Linguistics, or
Information/Library Science.
- 3+ years of relevant experience.

Please Submit resumes to:

Jason Stoughton