12.1537, Qs: Tamil/Telugu Stress, Copula Constructions

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 12 18:03:12 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1537. Tue Jun 12 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1537, Qs: Tamil/Telugu Stress, Copula Constructions

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:44:26 -0400
From:  <russell at ufl.edu>
Subject:  Tamil and Telugu stress judgments

2)
Date:  Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:40:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:  Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at ling.su.se>
Subject:  Copula constructions questionnaire

Date:  Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:44:26 -0400
From:  <russell at ufl.edu>

 	Hello,

 	I'm seeking native speakers of Tamil and Telugu from India
 	who would be willing to assist in a short and simple stress
 	judgment test.  The test can be conducted over email and
 	takes less than 3 minutes.

 	The test is given below.  If you wish to participate, simply
 	respond to this email with your answers.

 	Thank you,

 	Russell Moon
 	Graduate Assistant
 	University of Florida
 	Program in Linguistics

 	Stress Judgment Test

 	Instructions: Please review the following list of
 	two-syllable words.  Then, identify which words have main
 	stress on the first syllable (according to you) and which
 	words have main stress on the second syllable (again,
 	according to you).  If both syllables have the same stress
 	or if the main stress is otherwise indeterminable, please
 	indicate this.  Please choose according to intuitions you
 	might use while speaking in India, not abroad.

 	Word List:

 	pocket
 	garage
 	untie