12.1541, Qs: "Eat" as Auxiliary, Categorial Variations

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 12 18:18:36 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1541. Tue Jun 12 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1541, Qs: "Eat" as Auxiliary, Categorial Variations

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:46:33 +0200
From:  Ashild Naess <A.Naess at let.kun.nl>
Subject:  "Eat" as auxiliary

2)
Date:  Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:03:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Nizar Habash <habash at umiacs.umd.edu>
Subject:  Categorial Variations

Date:  Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:46:33 +0200
From:  Ashild Naess <A.Naess at let.kun.nl>

Dear linguists,

I came across an example of Hindi-Urdu using "eat" as an auxiliary in
certain types of experiencer constructions, namely those where the
experiencer is attributed some degree of control or agentivity (example
from Davison, Alice 1990, in Verma and Mohanan (eds.) "Experiencer subjects
in South Asian languages", Stanford, CSLI):

pitaa-nee apnee beeTee-par taras khaaii
father-erg self's   son-on       pity   eat-pf
"The father felt/showed pity for his son"

This contrasts with a construction with a dative subject and "come" as the
auxiliary, where only the non-agentive ("felt pity") reading is possible.

Do you know of other languages where the verb "eat" may function as an
auxiliary - in any kind of construction, not just with experiencer verbs?
In which kinds of constructions does it occur? I would also appreciate
references that might give me more information about this construction in
Hindi-Urdu.

Thanks,

Åshild Næss

University of Nijmegen