12.1657, Sum: Discourse Referents and Time

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 25 18:49:51 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1657. Mon Jun 25 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1657, Sum: Discourse Referents and Time

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:12:23 -0700
From:  Robert Belvin <robin at hrl.com>
Subject:  Discourse Referents and Time

Date:  Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:12:23 -0700
From:  Robert Belvin <robin at hrl.com>

Original query from Feb. 22 (the long time delay
in answering apparently doesn't affect the accessibility
of the general topic):

Does anyone know of studies which look at the extent to which the
passage of time determines whether a discourse referent is "current"
or not.  For example, given a discourse like the following: