12.1659, Qs: Possessive Nominalization,Innate Grammar Proof

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 25 23:42:23 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1659. Mon Jun 25 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1659, Qs: Possessive Nominalization,Innate Grammar Proof

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: James Yuells <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:43:09 +0400
From:  "Yura Lander" <land_yu at mail.ru>
Subject:  Looking for Example of Possessive Nominalizations

2)
Date:  Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:47:58 -0700
From:  Paul Franckowiak <paul.franckowiak at riomail.maricopa.edu>
Subject:  Searching for a Particular Innate Grammar Ability Proof

Date:  Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:43:09 +0400
From:  "Yura Lander" <land_yu at mail.ru>

Dear linguists,

I am looking for data (and references) on possessive
nominalizations, that is when a possessor form can be used
(in an argument position) without a possessum. Typical
examples are

1) Russian uses (former) possessive adjectives as proper
names. E.g.,

"Ivanovo" (name of a town) < "Ivanovo" 'Ivan's' (with
sg.neut.agreement);
"Borisov" (personal name) < "Borisov" 'Borisov's'
(sg.masc.agreement);

2) Lezgian uses a genitive formant together with a plural
marker to form the so-called "associative plural":

Dide-d-bur
mother-GEN-SBST.PL
'mother and those with her'

Note that here another morpheme is added to the genitive marker.

3) English form "John's" in an argument position usually
means 'John's home'.

(Of course, such a phenomenon is impossible in head-
marking languages.)

If you have an example of "possessive nominalization",
please point also what is the normal possessive
construction (including such data as possible word order,
agreement patterns etc.) and predicative possessive
construction ("This house is John's") in that language.

Thank you.
Best wishes,

Yura

Yura Lander