12.1662, Qs: English Double Negative,Language Assessment

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 26 00:23:38 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1662. Mon Jun 25 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1662, Qs: English Double Negative,Language Assessment

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: James Yuells <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:50:06 -0400
From:  "Jo  Tyler" <jtyler at mwc.edu>
Subject:  Evidence of Double Negative as an Emphatic

2)
Date:  Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:12:04 -0600
From:  "Lynell R. Williams" <sktutorc at isu.edu>
Subject:  Tool for Language Assessment

Date:  Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:50:06 -0400
From:  "Jo  Tyler" <jtyler at mwc.edu>

Dear Linguists,

I have occasionally heard claims that the English double negative is
emphatic, both in Old/Middle English and in modern nonstandard varieties.
However, I have never found any supporting argumentation or data accompanyi
ng these claims.

If a double negative is "emphatic" it seems that there should be systematic
 alternation in discourse with a "nonemphatic" (single negative) form.  On
the other hand, as I suspect, the double negative might just be a variant
of the standard negative-with-polarity item.

Does anyone know of studies that support or refute the "emphatic"
description of double negatives, either in Old/Middle English or in modern
nonstandard varieties?

I will post a summary if warranted.  Thanks in advance.

Jo Tyler
Assistant Professor
Center for Graduate and Professional Studies
Mary Washington College
Fredericksburg, VA 22406
540-286-8059
jtyler at mwc.edu