12.612, Qs: "Waves" Source/Substitute, British Eng Survey

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 6 05:25:49 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-612. Tue Mar 6 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.612, Qs: "Waves" Source/Substitute, British Eng Survey

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU

Date:  Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:47:14 +0100
From:  <j.mukherjee at uni-bonn.de>
Subject:  MARSEC/Waves converter

2)
Date:  Mon, 5 Mar 2001 19:47:51 -0000
From:  "Richard Todd (Forensic Audio Unit)" <r.todd at fusioncorp.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject:  Survey on Foreign-Accented (British) English Speech

Date:  Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:47:14 +0100
From:  <j.mukherjee at uni-bonn.de>

Dear colleagues,

A colleague of mine is currently working with the Machine-Readable
Spoken English Corpus (MARSEC) for her PhD project. According to the
distributors of the MARSEC CD-Rom, it is possible in principle, by using
a program called "Waves", to obtain phonetic details from the spoken
texts such as fundamental frequency, intensity etc. Unfortunately, this
program is obviously not available anymore. Is there anyone who can give
us a clue to alternative programs suitable for the same purpose (and
easily applicable without the help of a software engineer), or tell us
where "Waves" can still be purchased or downloaded from the web? Any
suggestions will be appreciated.

Best,

JM

Joybrato Mukherjee
Assistant Professor of Modern English Linguistics
Department of English, University of Bonn
Regina-Pacis-Weg 5, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Tel. +49-228-735727 and 734603
Fax +49-228-739714
Email j.mukherjee at uni-bonn.de