12.637, Sum: Waves Alternatives

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 8 18:45:01 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-637. Thu Mar 8 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.637, Sum: Waves Alternatives

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:13:33 +0100
From:  <j.mukherjee at uni-bonn.de>
Subject:  Waves Alternatives

Date:  Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:13:33 +0100
From:  <j.mukherjee at uni-bonn.de>

Dear colleagues,

on Monday I posted a query asking for potential alternatives to the Waves
program which is no longer available. In total, I received some fifteen
few colleagues are obviously facing the same problem, I am pleased to be
able to present the following list of tools(whose suitability for our
puposes we will have to check out next week, though):

Praat: www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/ , www.praat.org

Wavesurfer: www.speech.kth.se/wavesurfer/

HTK toolkit: http://htk.eng.cam.ac.uk/

CSL: http://www.arts.nie.edu.sg/ell/davidd/data/jipa-vowels/index.htm

Speech Analyzer from SIL:
www.sil.org/computing/speechtools/speechanalyzer.htm

Interestingly enough, Chilin Shih wrote that she got a Waves release by
writing to entropic at mcs.com. So there might be some hope for those of us who
prefer Waves to other candidates. Bill Fletcher sent me a freeware program
called "Spectrogram" (Version 4.2.8.) which has been developed by Richard
Horne (rshorne at mnsinc.com)

I would like to thank Helmer, Marc, Fred, Matt, Gareth, Simon, David,
Meredith, Rina, Mike, Barbara, Dan, Kevin, Chilin, Maciej, John and Bill for
their swift replies.

Best,

JM