12.661, Qs: Talking Drums, Rel String Frequency/Author ID

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 11 17:16:20 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-661. Sun Mar 11 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.661, Qs: Talking Drums, Rel String Frequency/Author ID

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU

Date:  Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:35:34 +0100
From:  Elke Hentschel <jasam at RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK.DE>
Subject:  Talking drums

2)
Date:  Fri, 9 Mar 2001 04:38:39 -0800 (PST)
From:  <rreck at rreck.sealsoft.com>
Subject:  relative string frequency for author identification

Date:  Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:35:34 +0100
From:  Elke Hentschel <jasam at RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK.DE>

Dear colleagues,

several years ago, I listened to a very good recording on talking drums
in Africa, expecially in the Kongo area. It gave many examples,
explained tonal languages and the principles used in order to make
drummed words and phrases distiguishable.

I've been trying in vain to either locate this recording or other find a
similar one that could be used in the classroom. Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance, regards,

Elke Hentschel