12.1211, Jobs: Phonology Postdoc at Swarthmore College, PA USA

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 2 16:58:35 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1211. Wed May 2 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1211, Jobs: Phonology Postdoc at Swarthmore College, PA USA

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU

Editor for this issue: Heather Taylor-Loring <heather at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  2 May 2001 15:10:31 -0000
From:  Donna Jo Napoli <dnapoli1 at swarthmore.edu>

Date:  2 May 2001 15:10:31 -0000
From:  Donna Jo Napoli <dnapoli1 at swarthmore.edu>

Rank of Job: Postdoc
Areas Required: Phonology
Other Desired Areas: Non-IE Lang; Phonetics
University or Organization: Swarthmore College
Department: Linguistics Department
State or Province: PA
Country: USA
Final Date of Application: (see text)
Contact: Donna Jo Napoli dnapoli1 at swarthmore.edu

Address for Applications:
Linguistics Department 500 College Ave
Swarthmore
PA 19081
USA

Position for a two-year Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in linguistics,
starting in fall 2001 at a starting salary of $51,000. We are looking
for a theoretical phonologist with a strong research and teaching area
in a non-IndoEuropean language. It is important that the person be
able to contribute classes that will be of interest to other units in
the college, such as cognitive science, sociology/anthropology,
education, computer science. An interest in experimental phonetics is
a plus, though not a necessity. An interest in linguistic diversity in
the United States is a plus, though not a necessity. During the first
year of the position, the fellow will teach two courses and conduct
research.  During the second year of the position, the fellow will
teach three courses and conduct research. We have a phonetics
laboratory with speech analysis equipment and a soundproof booth. A
phonetics laboratory coordinator runs that lab and will act as
assistant to the fellow.

To apply, send a c.v., the names and e-mail addresses of three
recommenders, and a copy of one publication to:

Donna Jo Napoli, Linguistics, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA
19081.

We will process materials as we receive them, and we hope to start
inviting interviewees by the end of May. Our goal is to make an
appointment before 15 July 2001. You may send your materials by
e-mail, if you prefer: dnapoli1 at swarthmore.edu (that's a numeral one
after Napoli's last name). The PhD must be in hand by 1 September
2001, and preference will be given to applicants who have already
defended their dissertation at the time of application. Applicants
must be citizens or permanent residents of the United
States.

Swarthmore College is a small, liberal arts college, with a long
tradition of academic excellence. Our average class size is under
15. We are located on a quick train line to Philadelphia. Swarthmore
College has a commitment to affirmative action; minority applicants
are encouraged to apply.