12.1312, Qs: "Up" & "Down", Conjunctions with "que"/Fr.

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 12 14:18:05 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1312. Sat May 12 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1312, Qs: "Up" & "Down", Conjunctions with "que"/Fr.

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU

Date:  Fri, 11 May 2001 13:19:47 -0400
From:  Marc Picard <picard at vax2.concordia.ca>
Subject:  Up and down

2)
Date:  Sat, 12 May 2001 08:43:39 +0200
From:  Mullen John <johnmullen at noos.fr>
Subject:  Conjunctions with "que" in French

Date:  Fri, 11 May 2001 13:19:47 -0400
From:  Marc Picard <picard at vax2.concordia.ca>

While at a baseball game with a (non-linguist) friend of mine the other
night, he asked me why balls were hit 'down the line' but 'up the
alley' (right-center or left-center field). Although I have some idea
of why we say things like 'up north' and 'down south', I had
to admit I had no clue about the use of up and down in that context. Can
anybody suggest anything that I can pass along? Also, a reference or two
on how all this stuff works in general would be welcome.

Marc Picard