12.1420, Qs: Questions/Typology, Correction Software/French

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 23 20:59:00 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1420. Wed May 23 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1420, Qs: Questions/Typology, Correction Software/French

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Wed, 23 May 2001 13:05:09 +0200
From:  "Ralf Vogel" <rvogel at ling.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject:  Typology of multiple questions

2)
Date:  Wed, 23 May 2001 13:42:35 -0400
From:  "Michael D. Kliffer" <kliffer at mcmaster.ca>
Subject:  French correction software

Date:  Wed, 23 May 2001 13:05:09 +0200
From:  "Ralf Vogel" <rvogel at ling.uni-potsdam.de>

Dear co-linguists,

I'm interested in the typology of the syntax of questions
and would be very happy, if anybody could help me in
answering the following question:

The syntax of interrogative clauses varies in several ways
among languages. First, there are languages that have
wh-movement, like Engish, and languages that don't have it,
like Korean (for ease of reading, I'm only giving glosses):

1 a English: What did John eat _?
  b Korean:  John what ate?

Second, many languages can have multiple wh-elements within
one clause, but there are also some that cannot, Italian is
supposed to be such a language. However, Italian is a
wh-movement language. I haven't found yet information about
*wh-in-situ languages that cannot form multiple questions*,
however:

2 a English: What did you do _ where?
  b Italian: *What did you _ where?

3 a Korean: you what where did?
  b ??????: *you what where did?

Does anybody know a language like 3b, i.e., a wh-in-situ
language that has no multiple questions? I would also be
very happy about hints to work dealing with this question. I
will post a summary of the answers to the list, if there are
any interesting results. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Ralf Vogel
mailto:rvogel at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Institute of Linguistics
University of Potsdam