12.1432, Qs: Tone Langs, Software/Western Himalayan Analysis

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 25 14:13:54 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1432. Fri May 25 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1432, Qs: Tone Langs, Software/Western Himalayan Analysis

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Thu, 24 May 2001 21:32:10 +0200
From:  david.sutcliffe at trad.upf.es
Subject:  A question of tone

2)
Date:  Fri, 1 Jun 2001 05:46:29 +0530
From:  "kavita rastogi" <krastogi at satyam.net.in>
Subject:  Western Himalayan Tibeto- Burman

Date:  Thu, 24 May 2001 21:32:10 +0200
From:  david.sutcliffe at trad.upf.es

Dear list,

My questions are in fact two:

1) What is the definition of a tone language? One in which sigificant
relative pitch is specified in the lexicon? Or, one in which pitch
enters into the composition of at least some morphemes, or...?

2) In general, when African tone languages - and presumably tone
languages elsewhere - borrow English lexis, the stressed syllable of the
English word is reinterpreted as high tone. Does anyone know of counter
examples in terms of Afican languages or elsewhere?

Thanks
David Sutcliffe
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona