12.1436, FYI: US Linguistic Olympics Website

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 26 15:03:28 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1436. Sat May 26 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1436, FYI: US Linguistic Olympics Website

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Thu, 24 May 2001 17:40:44 -0700
From:  Tom Payne <tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Subject:  Linguistic Olympics, Submit Questions, New URL

Date:  Thu, 24 May 2001 17:40:44 -0700
From:  Tom Payne <tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>

I would like to announce that the US Linguistic Olympics
Website has been updated, and the URL has changed. It is now
at http://www.lingolym.org. On this site you will find over
30 problems geared to secondary school students who are
native speakers of English. These problems may be downloaded
for personal or classroom use. I would encourage all
linguists to look at the site and try some of the problems.
Although they are geared to secondary school students, many
of them are challenging even to professional linguists. You
may find some of these useful in your classes.

Another reason I would like to ask Linguistlist recipients
to look at the site is that I would like you to consider
submitting a problem in a language you know well. Our
Russian colleagues have been most gracious in allowing us to
adapt problems from their archives. However, they are also
constantly in need of more problems for their on-going
Linguistic Olympics program, and so we reciprocate by
offering them original problems.

The new Linguistic Olympics homepage is
http://www.lingolym.org. There is also an unlinked page that
contains my report to the LSA on the 1998 US Linguistic
Olympics. It is at
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~tpayne/lingolym/LOreport.htm.
This document also gives guidelines for problem preparation.

Thank you very much for your help in making our discipline
known among secondary school students. Please contact me if
you have any questions or would like to submit a problem
(mailto:tpayne at oregon.uoregon.edu).

Tom Payne
Department of Linguistics
University of Oregon