12.1440, Qs: Derivational Loss/Contrast, Directional Verbs

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 29 14:10:26 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1440. Tue May 29 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1440, Qs: Derivational Loss/Contrast, Directional Verbs

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Fri, 25 May 2001 09:42:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Andy Wedel <wedel at ling.UCSC.EDU>
Subject:  Examples of Derivation-induced Loss of Contrast

2)
Date:  Mon, 28 May 2001 10:09:49 +0200
From:  Olivier Mathiasin <Olivier.Mathiasin at etienne.univ-lyon2.fr>
Subject:  directionnal verbs

Date:  Fri, 25 May 2001 09:42:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Andy Wedel <wedel at ling.UCSC.EDU>

I'm looking for languages in which affixation can result in a loss of
contrast to a particular value relative to the stem, for example if in
some language a stem-final position supported a voicing, manner, or place
contrast that were neutralized to a specific value across the board upon
suffixation. A specific example might be nasal place assimilation in a
language that has only coronal-initial suffixes, such that a potential
stem-final contrast in place for nasals is neutralized to coronal upon
suffixation. Alternatively, there might be a manner contrast in the
feature [continuant] supported word-finally, but upon vowel-initial
suffixation, stem-final stops might spirantize. I would be grateful for
any responses or comments. Please email me at wedel at ling.ucsc.edu

Andrew Wedel