13.898, Disc: Economic Value of Lang Diversity

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 1 21:30:15 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-898. Mon Apr 1 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.898, Disc: Economic Value of Lang Diversity

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:40:59 -0700 (MST)
From:  Dan Villa <dvilla at crl.NMSU.Edu>
Subject:  Re: 13.881, Disc: Economic Value of Lang Diversity

2)
Date:  Sat, 30 Mar 2002 02:17:31 -0500
From:  "Job M. van Zuijlen" <zuijlen at attglobal.net>
Subject:  13.878, Disc: Economic Value of Lang Diversity

3)
Date:  Mon, 01 Apr 2002 15:40:22 -0500
From:  tam6 at acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject:  Disc: Economic Value of Language Diversity

Date:  Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:40:59 -0700 (MST)
From:  Dan Villa <dvilla at crl.NMSU.Edu>

In following this discussion, I would like to observe that, in looking at
the loss of Spanish in the United States, there is little doubt that
economic factors play a significant part in shift. We conducted a study in
our community, directly adjacent to Mexico, with all the advantages of
international ports, the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement)
accord, etc., and found that in this area there is no significant salary
gain in being able to speak Spanish. If one speaks Spanish, employers are
happy to hire that individual, but are not willing to pay a premium for
that skill, even though it might be to the employers' benefit. It would
appear that such factors influence language loss. At the same time,
speakers of U.S. Spanish form the largest single largest Spanish speaking
market for U.S. goods and services in the Spanish speaking world, about
triple that of all other Spanish speaking countries (see Villa 2000).
There is a definite economic advantage to catering to the U.S. Spanish
speaking populace. We witness a huge state of flux; I would not predict
the demise of Spanish, especially the 'norma popular', or 'low' Spanish,
as defined by some. U.S. Census data shows that these varieties of Spanish
are growing throughout the U.S. Economic factors will guarantee the growth
of these 'non-standard' varieties throughout the 21st century (unless we
wipe ourselves out through nuclear warfare, or some other nonsense). In
short, the (economic) hegemony of English is by no means firmly
established.

Daniel Villa
New Mexico State U.

Reference

Villa, Daniel. 2000. "Languages Have Armies, and Economies, Too: The
Impact of U.S. Spanish in the Spanish-speaking world". Southwest Journal
of Linguistics 19. 143-154.