13.901, Sum: Chinese Word Frequency Lists

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 1 22:03:06 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-901. Mon Apr 1 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.901, Sum: Chinese Word Frequency Lists

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:34:49 -0700
From:  dhang at email.arizona.edu
Subject:  Chinese word frequency list

Date:  Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:34:49 -0700
From:  dhang at email.arizona.edu

I posted a question about word frenquency list in Chinese more than a month
ago. Here is a summary of what I got. Sorry about the delay. I would like
to thank William E. Duncan, Jeffrey, J. Hayden, Marjorie Chan and Chris
Wen-Chao Li for the information.

1. William Duncan suggested that I do a web search for Jun Da's character
lists
at mtsu.edu. Here is what I found:

http://lingua.mtsu.edu/chinese-computing/statistics/

2. This is from Jeffrey Hayden:

  Xiandai Hanyu Zi4pin2 Tongjibiao. (1987). Guojia Yuyan Wenzi
Gongzuo Weiyuanhui & Guojia Biaozhun Ju (Eds.).

"But that is for individual characters. For words, you could use the
latest Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi lists arranged by levels." ---Jeffrey

3. This is from Marjorie Chan:

"Frequency lists online for Chinese tends to be character frequency lists.
There are some links in my wordlists webpage:

   http://deall.ohio-state.edu/chan.9/cdict.htm

She also said most of the word (ci2) frequency lists that she's seen are
in hardcopy publications. One of them, from Cheng and Tsui is:

ISBN: 957638527X
Title: 6000 Chinese WordsA Vocabulary Frequency Handbook
Price: $27.95
Author: James Erwin Dew

"This handbook is designed to assist Chinese language teachers and students
in selecting vocabulary for introduction in the early stages of study and
for special focus at the intermediate and more advanced levels. It contains
frequency information on more than 6,000 words and 3,000 single characters
. The word lists include labels for "grading" vocabulary items into
elementary, intermediate, and more advanced levels. Also included is a
bibliography of sources and dictionaries. SMC, 1999; 6 x 8.5, 372pp."--Marjorie
Chan

4. This is from Chris Wen-Chao Li:

"...the Chinese Language Corpus site at Academia Sinica
should have this information. They've also published a book called
"6,000 Chinese Words", which has word frequency lists from Taiwan and Beijing."

Hang Du
University of Arizona