13.962, Disc: Economic Value of Language Diversity

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 8 13:21:22 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-962. Mon Apr 8 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.962, Disc: Economic Value of Language Diversity

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:47:04 -0400
From:  "Elizabeth J. Pyatt" <ejp10 at psu.edu>
Subject:  Re: 13.954, Disc: Economic Value of Language Diversity

Date:  Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:47:04 -0400
From:  "Elizabeth J. Pyatt" <ejp10 at psu.edu>

I generally concur with the position that in many cases parents often
encourage their children to learn a majority language so they can get
ahead economincally (right or wrong - that seems to be the case).

One interesting twist though are the Welsh language schools.
Obviously, they were started as a way to preserve the language, but
from what I have heard, they became especially popular with parents
because the level of education was felt to be better than in the
counterpart English-language schools. In this case using the
non-official language DID have an economic advantage (although most
Welsh speakers, even those attending Welsh schools, retain some
fluency in English).

-
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer