13.978, Qs: Great V Shift, Eng Syllable Shape Frequencies

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 9 14:10:44 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-978. Tue Apr 9 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.978, Qs: Great V Shift, Eng Syllable Shape Frequencies

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:57:01 +0200
From:  Cornelia Gerhardt <c.gerhardt at mx.uni-saarland.de>
Subject:  The Great Vowel Shift

2)
Date:  Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:59:11 -0500
From:  "Dr Martin J. Ball" <mjb0372 at louisiana.edu>
Subject:  Syllable shape frequencies in English

Date:  Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:57:01 +0200
From:  Cornelia Gerhardt <c.gerhardt at mx.uni-saarland.de>

Dear fellow linguists,

I am looking for publications that discuss the following
sociolinguistic explanation of what caused the Great Vowel Shift in
English (see Jeremy Smith. 1996. An historical study of English:
Function, form and change.  London: Routledge.) To put it in a
nutshell, the trigger was that East-Anglians and the 'Mopsae'
hyperadapted certain features of upper-class London speech.

Thank you for bibliographical information or your opinion,
I'll post a summary.

Cornelia Gerhardt
Lehrstuhl für englische Sprachwissenschaft
Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, Germany

c.gerhardt at mx.uni-saarland.de