13.1167, Disc: New: Re "Overcoming Plateaus in SLA"

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Apr 27 14:54:03 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1167. Sat Apr 27 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1167, Disc: New: Re "Overcoming Plateaus in SLA"

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:19:09 -0400
From:  "Ronald SHEEN" <Ronald_Sheen at uqtr.uquebec.ca>
Subject:  Re: 13.1160, Diss: Applied Ling: Zapata "Overcoming   Plateaus..."

Date:  Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:19:09 -0400
From:  "Ronald SHEEN" <Ronald_Sheen at uqtr.uquebec.ca>

This is a query related to the subjects of the study.  I did research*
about twenty years ago on learners with near-native proficiency.  The
purpose was to examine the source of residual errors in the oral production
of the subjects.  The findings indicated that the very large majority of
those errors were L1-related.  This was supported by similar findings in
Marton (1980) and Mukattash (1986).

My question to A Zapata is then did he address this issue in his
dissertation?  If so, did he find any difference in resistance to
defossilization between L1 -related errors and others.  I would hypothesize
that as the former constitute the vast majority of residual errors, they
will be the most resistant.

*Sheen, R.(1980). "The importance of negative transfer in the
	    speech of near-bilinguals".  International Review of Applied
	    Linguistics Vol 18/2:105-119.