13.1188, Qs: Arabic Phonetics, EFL/China:Empirical Studies

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 30 13:09:53 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1188. Tue Apr 30 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1188, Qs: Arabic Phonetics, EFL/China:Empirical Studies

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:39:08 -0400
From:  "Kurt S. Godden" <kgodden at atl.lmco.com>
Subject:  Arabic Phonetics

2)
Date:  Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:27:11 +0800 (CST)
From:  Peter Gu<guyongqi at yahoo.com>
Subject:  EFL in China: Empirical Studies

Date:  Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:39:08 -0400
From:  "Kurt S. Godden" <kgodden at atl.lmco.com>

One of my pet peeves with many language texts and dictionaries is that
authors try to describe speech sounds with some home-grown alphabet,
rather than the IPA.  Given their deliberate avoidance of linguistic
jargon, I often have a hard time figuring out how many phonemes are
supposed to be realized.

Can someone please provide a simple articulatory description of the
phonemes for these Arabic letters?

'alif
khaa'  (Does this denote a uvular fricative?)
raa'
Saad
Daad
Taa'
DHaa'
ghayn (Is this a uvular trill?)
qaaf  (Is this a uvular stop?)

The book I have actually describes Saad as an /s/, modified "as if your
mouth was full of cotton wool."  How helpful.

-
Kurt Godden
Lockheed Martin
Advanced Technology Labs