13.2072, Sum: Ventriloquists & Labial Consonants

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 12 16:24:51 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-2072. Mon Aug 12 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.2072, Sum: Ventriloquists & Labial Consonants

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU		Anita Wang, EMU

          Zhenwei Chen, E. Michigan U. <zhenwei at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:33:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:  "Carol L. Tenny" <tenny at linguist.org>
Subject:  Ventriloquists and labial consonants

Date:  Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:33:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:  "Carol L. Tenny" <tenny at linguist.org>

Sum: Ventriloquists and labial consonants

Quite a few months ago I posted this question about ventriloquists and labial
consonants:

   One of my students in my intro linguistics class asked today, as we were
   finishing up phonetics, how ventriloquists make labial consonants without
   moving their lips ???
   I love my intro students, they ask such great questions.

   Anybody have any idea?

   Carol Tenny

Thanks to the many people who responded and apologies for the long hiatus
between posting the question and the answers.

The trick seems to be that they substitute other consonants for the labials.
Most people said they substituted the corresponding dentals, but some said
velar substitutions were possible. Various psychological techniques also
contribute to covering up the substitutions. I will post the answers I
received below, because they were delightful to read.

   Two ways:
   1.  by really saying 'v'

   2.  by really saying 'd'--see:

   http://www.kimn.net/vent.htm
   (It's pretty far down the page.)

   Lynne

   Dr M Lynne Murphy
   Lecturer in Linguistics
   Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
   University of Sussex
   Brighton BN1 9QH
   UK

   phone +44-(0)1273-678844
   fax   +44-(0)1273-671320

Subject:   diladial consonants...
 From:  Sheri Wells Jensen <swellsj at bgnet.bgsu.edu>

             Carol,

   When I was a kid, I had an LP made by a ventriloquist and his puppet about
   how to become a ventriloquist.  The idea was that, when you had a bilabial
   sound, you should substitute a dental /t/ for /p/, /d/ for /b/ and /n/ for
   /m/.  He then had his puppet try these substitutions, gradually speeding
up
   and (it seemed to me) friccating slightly.  The faster he went, the easier
   it was to ignore the slightly wrong sounds (since so much of the rrest
were
   fine)  No doubt the funny voice had something to do with the overall
effect
   as well.  I would have thought that velars would have been a better
choice,
   but my (admittedly limited) practice seemed to say otherwise.  come to
   think of it, it really would be interesting to see some spectrgrams of
   ventriloquists' consonants, maybe comparing beginners with more
experienced
   ones.

   Best,
   Sheri

   * * * * * * *
   Visit BG-Peacenet Home Page at
   http://personal.bgsu.edu/~swellsj/bg-peacenet/
   * * * * * * *
   Dr. Sheri Wells-Jensen
   423 East Hall
   (419) 372-8935

Subject:   ventriloquists

         From:  "Mike Maxwell" <maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu>

   I hope you get some more knowledgeable answers than I can give you, but
just
   in case, here goes--

   My father-in-law is a ventriloquist.  He tries to avoid labials where
   possible.  Where he can't, I think he sometimes substitutes a velar when
he
   can get away with it, perhaps with a bit of lip approximation (but not
   closure, so it's not quite as obvious).  His rounded vowels are, it
appears
   to me, less rounded than normal English rounded vowels.  But I think the
   main thing is to make the dummy the center of attraction when it's
talking,
   which is probably one reason why ventriloquists' dummies have very large
   mouths, and the ventriloquists are careful to make use of those large
   mouths.  And finally, I think that there's a very strong compulsion (at
   least in our culture) to maintain eye contact with the 'person' who is
doing
   the talking.  So the audience is looking at the dummy, not the
   ventriloquist, when the dummy is supposed to be talking.

        Mike Maxwell
        Linguistic Data Consortium
        maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu

Subject:   Re: 13.256, Qs: Ventriloquists/Labial Consonants, Tense/Lax /i/
From:  Daniel Currie Hall <danhall at chass.utoronto.ca>

   Dear Dr. Tenny,

   Last term, I contrived to satisfy my own curiosity about ventriloquism by
   putting the question "How do ventriloquists make or simulate labial
   consonants?" on a list of suggested topics for a research project in the
   second-year undergraduate phonetics course I was teaching. One of the
   students took up the suggestion; unfortunately, I handed back the paper
   without keeping a copy for myself, so I can't give you the references, but
   I can tell you what I remember of the content.

   In English, at least, ventriloquists tend to use dental stops in place of
   [p] and [b], thus squeezing the coronal/labial contrast into an
   alveolar/dental one. I find that dentals do sound a bit like labials (and
   have a lower F2 than alveolars), especially if the body of the tongue is
   kept as low as possible.

   For [m], the velar eng is sometimes used. This is an especially effective
   strategy (in English) when the sound occurs in an onset: the listener
   hears a segment that is clearly nasal, and not an [n], so if it's in the
   onset of a well-formed English syllable, it must be an [m]. If the fake
   labial consonants are produced fluently, then the listener's phonotactic
   and lexical knowledge will work to the ventriloquist's advantage.

   As for the fricatives [f] and [v], these sound reasonably good even with
   very little constriction, so the lower lip doesn't really have to move to
   produce them.

   The most important tool of the ventriloquist, though, is misdirection. The
   ventriloquist's dummy serves not only as a partner in a comic dialogue,
   but also as something to draw the audience's attention away from the
   ventriloquist's mouth. If the dummy's mouth and arms and eyebrows are all
   moving in synchrony with the words, and the ventriloquist seems to be
   reacting to the content of the speech, then the observer's mind interprets
   the scene in the most obvious way: the dummy is the one speaking.
   Ventriloquists typically reinforce the illusion of dialogue by giving
   their dummies distinctive voices and speech mannerisms; in this context,
   any auditory difference between the fake labial consonants and the real
   ones can be subconsciously interpreted by the audience as part of the
   difference between the dummy's voice and the ventriloquist's.

   So it really is a great question, because the answer involves acoustic and
   auditory phonetics, phonotactics, top-down processing, and psychology.

      Best regards,

   Daniel Hall
   Department of Linguistics
   University of Toronto

 From:   "Kurt S. Godden" <kgodden at atl.lmco.com>

   p.s.  I think some ventriloquists actually do bilabials, but since their
   mouths are nearly closed and the audience is usually looking at the
   dummy, it's not terribly visible.  Others, I think, just do maybe an
   alveolar nasal and get away with it.  After all, people often can't
   tell.  My youngest daughter used to say, with huge melodramatic
   exaggeration when she was about 4, "Did you em-MA or en-NA?" when trying
   to understand what spelling we told her for some word.

   -Kurt Godden
    Advanced Technology Labs
    Lockheed Martin
    Camden, NJ