13.2085, TOC: GLOT International, Volume 6 Number 5

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 14 17:37:26 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-2085. Wed Aug 14 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.2085, TOC: GLOT International, Volume 6 Number 5

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU		Anita Wang, EMU

          Zhenwei Chen, E. Michigan U. <zhenwei at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:45:23 +0100
From:  "Raywood Stephen" <SRaywood at blackwellpublishers.co.uk>
Subject:   GLOT 6:5 now live

Date:  Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:45:23 +0100
From:  "Raywood Stephen" <SRaywood at blackwellpublishers.co.uk>

We are pleased to announce that issue 6:5 of GLOT International is now
live and available only at Linguist List, through Blackwell's Linguist
List Plus (LL+). Published ten times a year, GLOT International is provided
in electronic form only, which LL+ subscribers are free to download and print
for their own use. For information on subscribing to LL+, or for a sample
issue of GLOT, go to http://www.linguistlistplus.com/, or simply click the
Linguist List Plus link on the Linguist List home page.

Glot International, Issue 6:5
Table of Contents
Editors: Lisa Cheng and Rint Sybesma
Dissertations: Jenny Doetjes, Paula Fikkert
Squibs: Jonathan Bobaljik, Susi Wurmbrand
Conference reports: Andrew Simpson
Goodies: Rob Goedemans
Editorial Manager: Marjo van Koppen

In this issue: volume 6, number 5

State of the Article

John Frederick Bailyn on Scrambling to reduce scrambling - Part 2
"Mechanically, the reconstruction property of (A') scrambling is not
a difficult problem given the Copy Theory of Movement (Chomsky
1995a). Under this account, an element is copied from base position to
one or more displaced positions and the phonology and semantic
components in effect choose which of the two copies to interpret. With
overt movement, PF interprets the higher position; with
reconstruction, LF interprets the lower copy. Thus it is not the
reconstruction property per se that requires explanation under
Minimalist assumptions. Rather, it is the existence of the
displacement itself that is at issue, raising two related questions of
theoretical significance, which I will call the 'feature (or
agreement) problem' and the 'optionality and motivation problem'. "

Column: Recent issues in linguistics

Elan Dresher on Crouching philosopher, hidden linguist "I have to
confess that I, too, from time to time have felt that there is
something wrong with the nature of scientific discussion in the
field. I feel this most acutely when I read an article on a topic I
have worked on that doesn't cite me. 'Something is wrong,' I think, as
I scan the reference list that has no names between Drachmann and
Dressler, 'with the nature of scientific discussion in the field.'"

Dissertations: Three forms of case agreement in Korean By Sungeun Cho
Reviewed by Dong-Whee Yang
Knowledge and learning in natural language By Charles D. Yang
Reviewed by Walter Daelemans

Glot International
Vol. 6, No. 5, May 2002
Blackwell Publishers Ltd. 2002,
108 Cowley Road, Oxford, UK and 250 Main Street, Malden MA 02148,
USA