13.3410, Sum: Endangered Languages: Addendum

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 23 12:55:01 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-3410. Mon Dec 23 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.3410, Sum: Endangered Languages: Addendum

Date:  Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:42:22 -0000
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan.everett at man.ac.uk>
Subject:  Correction to Summary on Endangered Languages

Date:  Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:42:22 -0000
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan.everett at man.ac.uk>

In my summary on Endangered Languages (Linguist 13.3331) research, I
mention the new and exciting program at SOAS in London. However, in my
non-official summary of the SOAS initiatives, I misstated some of the
facts. I am happy to forward on these corrections to my summary from
Peter Austin. Please ignore the paragraph on SOAS in my previous
posting.

Best - and Happy Holidays,

Dan Everett

The Lisbet Rausing Charitable Trust made a donation of 20 million
pounds in support of endangered languages research and training. Three
programmes have been established:

1. an endangered languages academic program (ELAP) based at SOAS,
directed by Peter Austin, and charged with running a new MA in
Language Documentation and Description (now approved for 2003) and a
PhD in Field Linguistics, plus seminars, summer schools and training
courses;

2. an endangered languages documentation program (ELDP) administered
by SOAS and directed by an international panel of experts in field
research and language documentation. ELDP will distribute research
grants for projects, post-docs and PhD study;

3. an endangered languages archive based at SOAS to archive data
collected under ELDP and from other sources.

This is a unique combination of grants for research and documentation
plus training for current researchers and a new generation of MA and
PhD students. For further details see the main SOAS web page
www.soas.ac.uk or contact Peter Austin on pa2 at soas.ac.uk

Or at:

Prof Peter K. Austin
Marit Rausing Chair in Field Linguistics
Director, Endangered Languages Academic Program
Department of Linguistics, SOAS
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG
United Kingdom