13.352, Qs: Speech & Composition, CL/LT in Nordic CALL

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 10 04:07:21 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-352. Sat Feb 9 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.352, Qs: Speech & Composition, CL/LT in Nordic CALL

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:44:22 -0500
From:  "Roderick A. Jacobs" <rjacobs at townesquare.net>
Subject:  Speech and Composition

2)
Date:    Sat, 09 Feb 2002 10:11:29 +0100
From:    Lars Borin <Lars.Borin at ling.uu.se>
Subject:  CL/LT in Nordic CALL

Date:  Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:44:22 -0500
From:  "Roderick A. Jacobs" <rjacobs at townesquare.net>

I'm interested in finding out who, if anyone, has done
empirical research into connections between speech and
composition. I'm aware of some work back in the 1960's
by Jimmy Britton and others in London but know of little
more current dealing with intonation, etc. Rhetoricians
and composition scholars like Peter Elbow frequently refer
to "voice" in writing, a notion that is sometimes related
to speech features, as also do literary critics--I'm
thinking of Reuben Brower for instance on Dryden.

I'll be happy to summarize for the list what I learn.
-

Roderick A. Jacobs, Ph.D.
Author/Language Consultant
Formerly Dean of College of Languages, Linguistics, & Literature
Emeritus Professor of Linguistics & Second Language Studies
University of Hawai'i
225 East Ponce de Leon Ave, #523
Decatur, GA 30030

rjacobs at townesquare.net