13.375, Sum: Compound Nouns in English

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 11 20:30:16 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-375. Mon Feb 11 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.375, Sum: Compound Nouns in English

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:58:07 +0100
From:  "Caroline Reul" <z174wsf at z.zgs.de>
Subject:  compound nouns

Date:  Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:58:07 +0100
From:  "Caroline Reul" <z174wsf at z.zgs.de>

For query: 12 3037.2

After months, a summary of answers I received to my request for sources
or lists of compound nouns.  These were all helpful though I had hoped
for actual lists of compounds.  Thanks to those who sent me the
following info:

1:  two sites that are style guideline on treatment of compounds:

http://www.wilbers.com/part24.htm

http://www.urel.berkeley.edu/urel/styleguide/styleguide_wordlist.html

2.  A paper with lots of examples

Liberman, Mark and Richard Sproat. 1992. "The stress and structure of
modified noun phrases in English".  In _Lexical Matters_, Ivan Sag &
Anna
Szabolcsi (eds), CSLI: Stanford, CA.

3.  sources of copulative compounds as well as endocentric ones:

Olsen, S. 2001 Copulative Compounds: A closer look at the interface
between syntax and morphology. Yearbook of Morphology 2000, 279-320.

4. a paper about Noun compounds in English
containing a lot of data in the appendix, which was presented at
MMM 3, Barcelona, 21 September 2001.

The paper is downloadable from his web site
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~spena