13.380, Sum: Machine Translation of Dialogue

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 11 21:07:15 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-380. Mon Feb 11 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.380, Sum: Machine Translation of Dialogue

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:07:34 -0500
From:  Sherri Condon <scondon at mitre.org>
Subject:  Responses to Machine Translation Query

Date:  Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:07:34 -0500
From:  Sherri Condon <scondon at mitre.org>

As I promised, I am summarizing the responses I received to my query
about machine translation of dialogue.  I am grateful to all of our
colleagues who shared their knowledge.

Maite Taboada wrote about the JANUS project at Carnegie Mellon
University:
http://www.is.cs.cmu.edu/mie/janus.html

Francesca Guerzoni called attention to the NESPOLE! project
http://nespole.itc.it

Daniel Villa described work at the Computing Research Lab (CRL) at New
Mexico State University on adapting a machine translation system to
translate dialog:
http://crl.nmsu.edu/

Caren Brinckmann, Melanie Siegel, and Hans Ulrich (Ulli) Block all
reminded me of the Verbmobil project and the many reports available on
the website at
http://verbmobil.dfki.de/
In addition, Caren and Ulli both mentioned the recently published book
about the project:
Wahlster, W. (ed.): Verbmobil: Foundations of Speech-to-Speech
Translation.  Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 2000

Pius ten Hacken also recommended looking at the Verbmobil site and cited
his paper:
ten Hacken, Pius (2001), "Has There Been a Revolution in Machine
Translation ?", Machine Translation 16:1-19.

Finally, Dr. Paul Prueitt wrote about work he is doing that can be found
at
http://www.ontologystream.com/aSLIP/files/verbMaps.htm

Thanks again to everyone who took time to respond.

Sherri

-
Sherri L. Condon, Ph.D.
The MITRE Corporation