13.459, Qs: Lang Use in Relocated Lang Communities, Stress

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 19 18:18:10 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-459. Tue Feb 19 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.459, Qs: Lang Use in Relocated Lang Communities, Stress

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:58:42 +0400
From:  "John & Debbie Clifton" <debbie-john_clifton at sil.org>
Subject:  language use in relocated language communities

2)
Date:  Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:41:57 +0100
From:  Joaquim Brandãode Carvalho <jbrandao at ext.jussieu.fr>
Subject:  VOT and stress

Date:  Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:58:42 +0400
From:  "John & Debbie Clifton" <debbie-john_clifton at sil.org>

I am posting the following request for information for a student of
mine.  Please send all replies to Calvin Tiessen:
<calvin_tiessen at sil.org>. He has agreed to post a summary.

Talysh is a less-widely-spoken language in the south of Azerbaijan and
the north of Iran. Most speakers of Talysh are also relatively
proficient in their use of the national language, Azerbaijani. I am
currently involved in research regarding language use and attitudes
among members of the Talysh community in Azerbaijan who have moved
from their traditionally rural locations to the urban communities in
and around Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, where Azerbajani and
Russian are the languages of wider communication.

I have had difficulty locating literature discussing language use and
attitudes elsewhere in similar situations. I would appreciate any
suggestions anyone might have regarding appropriate literature, and
will post a summary.