13.465, Sum: Mobile Diphthongs in Italian

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 20 02:40:12 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-465. Tue Feb 19 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.465, Sum: Mobile Diphthongs in Italian

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:25:13 +0100
From:  "Bart van der Veer" <b.vanderveer at hivt.ha.be>
Subject:  Mobile diphthongs in Italian

Date:  Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:25:13 +0100
From:  "Bart van der Veer" <b.vanderveer at hivt.ha.be>

Dear linguists, cari linguisti,

I would like to thank the following persons who replied to my query posted
on 19 Dec. 2001 (Qs. 12.3134) about the use of mobile diphthongs in Modern
Standard Italian: (in chronological order:) M. Tjalve, A. Sansò, A. Bisetto,
P. Menzel, C. Soria, P.M. Bertinetto, G.C. Buoiano (I suppose the diphthong
is unstressed here...), E. Mellander, R. Viredaz, M. Santini, O. Brizio, L.
Minervini, J. Nicod (Palma), V. Cavalli-Sforza, G. Sabaduquia, F. Del Gobbo,
C. Vessella and M. Grollé.
The outcome was more or less what I expected. Although temporary grammars
and dictionaries still treat the phenomenon of the mobile diphthong
(dittongo mobile) as if it were some grammatical rule, the unstressed
vowel/stressed diphthong alternation (e.g. fuoco-focherello, muovo-moviamo)
seems no longer phonologically productive. If alternation takes place, this
is generally considered as archaic, literary or dialectal. However,
exceptions may occur even in the standard language.
Grazie a tutti e cordiali saluti!

Bart van der Veer
Hoger Instituut voor Vertalers en Tolken Antwerpen/Universiteit Leiden
Center for Linguistics