13.507, Sum: Natural Language Processing in Movies

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 23 20:33:43 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-507. Sat Feb 23 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.507, Sum: Natural Language Processing in Movies

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:26:35 +1100
From:  "Robert Dale" <Robert.Dale at mq.edu.au>
Subject:  NLP in the Movies: Summary of Responses

Date:  Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:26:35 +1100
From:  "Robert Dale" <Robert.Dale at mq.edu.au>

Hi

Around two weeks ago I posted the following query about portrayals of NLP in
the movies:

I received 13 replies, one of which was a pointer to a commercial product
video that I can't redistribute.  The others suggested the following movies
as containing some appropriate material:

	Bladerunner, Clear and Present Danger, Contact, Earth vs. the Flying
Saucers, Face Off, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, In The Code Conspiracy,
Primary Colors, Shooting Fish, Short Circuit, Sneakers, Star Trek, Star
Wars, Three Days of the Condor.

Rather than clutter up this list with the details, I've put together a web
page that contains what the respondents actually had to say about the
movies:  you can find this at
http://www.ics.mq.edu.au/~rdale/resources/nlpinthemovies/index.html

If reading this inspires you to think of other candidates, please email me and
I'll add them to the page.

My thanks to the following persons for replying:

	Rich Alderson, John Dunnion, Kurt Godden, Shalom Lappin, Stefan Müller,
Lynne Murphy, Brian Roark, Leonor Santos, Alain Thériault, Michael Tjalve,
Peter Turney, Dom Watt, Doug Whalen