13.509, FYI: Ling Contest, Online Video Archive

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 23 20:44:11 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-509. Sat Feb 23 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.509, FYI: Ling Contest, Online Video Archive

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:35:21 +0200
From:  Ivan A Derzhanski <iad at math.bas.bg>
Subject:  Ling Contest for Bulgarian High School Students

2)
Date:  Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:04:25 -0500
From:  "Fodor, Janet Dean" <JFodor at gc.cuny.edu>
Subject:  LSA Video Archive is now open

Date:  Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:35:21 +0200
From:  Ivan A Derzhanski <iad at math.bas.bg>

This year's Winter Contest in Linguistics for Bulgarian high school
students was held in Ruse on 7-9 February.  There were 30 participants
-  more than ever since 1996, when I became involved with the event.

Two of the problems required the contestants to analyse data from
an unknown language, take notice of the relevant facts and do some
translating or pairing up.  This year's problems involved Irish
relativisation and initial consonant mutation and the formation of
the oblique noun stem in Lezgi.  The third problem was based on the
contestants' native language: they were asked to devote some thought
to Bulgarian measure expressions of the `cup of tea' variety.

I've made a directory, <http://www.math.bas.bg/ml/iad/ruse02/>,
where the following files can be found:

* Ruse02pdf.zip  Problems 1 and 2 (w/ solutions) in English, in PDF.
* Ruse02ps.zip   The same thing in PostScript.
* Ruse02-3.zip   Problem 3 (w/ sample solution) in Bulgarian.
* Ruse02.zip     The whole problem set (w/ solutions) in Bulgarian.

They'll be there for at least a fortnight, but I may take them off
afterwards, so get them now.  And do let me know what you think.

-
Ivan A Derzhanski                   <http://www.math.bas.bg/ml/iad/>
H: cplx Iztok bl 91, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria          <iad at math.bas.bg>
W: Dept for Math Lx, Inst for Maths & CompSci, Bulg Acad of Sciences