13.222, Qs: British vs American Eng, Spread of Uvular /r/

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 28 16:40:49 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-222. Mon Jan 28 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.222, Qs: British vs American Eng, Spread of Uvular /r/

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Sun, 27 Jan 2002 08:01:11 -0500 (EST)
From:  Alain Thériault<alain.theriault at UMontreal.CA>
Subject:  British vs American English phonology/phonetics

2)
Date:  Sun, 27 Jan 2002 14:17:02 +0100
From:  Mikael Parkvall <parkvall at ling.su.se>
Subject:  Spread of uvular /r/

Date:  Sun, 27 Jan 2002 08:01:11 -0500 (EST)
From:  Alain Thériault<alain.theriault at UMontreal.CA>

Dear List Members

Would any of you know of papers, or web pages, that give a complete,
or partial, comparative description of the phonology of British and
American English. I want to make a speech sythetyser speek like CNN
from a list of BBC like pronunciations and I have a feeling that there
are regular conversions that can be made.

I'll sum up, of course

Thanks

Alain Theriault
Ph.D. Student (Linguistics)