13.1891, Sum: Influence of L2 on L1

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 10 19:40:43 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1891. Wed Jul 10 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1891, Sum: Influence of L2 on L1

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU		Anita Wang, EMU

          Zhenwei Chen, E. Michigan U. <zhenwei at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 9 Jul 2002 19:42:28 +0900
From:  Kirk Masden <masden at kumagaku.ac.jp>
Subject:  Influence of L2 on L1

Date:  Tue, 9 Jul 2002 19:42:28 +0900
From:  Kirk Masden <masden at kumagaku.ac.jp>

Dear Linguists,

On March 12 I posted an inquiry about the influence of L2 on L1.  I
reported that the results of an experiment I had conducted with several
colleagues indicate that development of fluency in English (L2) may have a
very significant influence on how native speakers of Japanese interpret
certain Japanese words (L1). I presented the few citations of relevant
research I was able to find on the Internet and requested information on
other relevant publications.  The complete text of my inquiry may be viewed
at the following address:

http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/13/13-665.html#2

The following people sent valuable information and/or comments (listed in
alphabetical order):

Eleanor Batchelder
Adrienne Bruyn
Vivian Cook
Sylviane Granger
Istvan Kecskes

Thanks very much to all.

 From Elenor Batchelder I received an inquiry regarding the language of the
survey.  This this I responded that the survey was bilingual and the order
of the Japanese and English was reversed in half of the cases to prevent
bias.

 From Adrienne Bruyn I learned that Sarah Thomason "presents some
anecdotical evidence of interference from the later acquired language into
the primary native language (involving lexicon, phonology/accent, and also
grammatical constructions)" in the following book:

>Thomason, Sarah G. 2001. Language Contact. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University
>Press.

She also introduced the following chapter

>Thomason, Sarah G. 1997. 'On mechanisms of interference'. Eliasson, Stig &
>Ernst Hakon Jahr (eds.), Language and its ecology. Essays in memory of
>Einar Haugen. Berlin & New York: Mouton de Gruyter, pp. 181-207.

and pointed out that "Thomason mentions that [the phenomenon is] seldomly
discussed in the language contact literature."

This and other responses I received confirmed my initial impression that
influence of L2 on L1 is a fairly new area of study.   Fortunately,
however, interest in the phenomenon has increased dramatically in recent
years.  Vivian Cook pointed out that she recently helped to organize a
colloquium on the topic called "Putting transfer in reverse: changes in the
first language of second language users":

http://www.mrhassoc.com/aaal2002/images/colloqbytitle.htm#02081

She also included the following list of references:

>Bialystok, E. (2001) Bilingualism in Development. Cambridge: Cambridge
>University Press
>Cenoz, J. & Genesee, F. (eds.) (1998) Beyond Bilingualism: Multilingualism
>and Multilingual Education. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters
>Cook, V.J. (in press) (ed.) Portraits of the L2 User. Clevedon:
>Multilingual Matters
>Cook, V.J. (ed). to appear Effects of the Second Language on the First.
>Clevedon: Multilingual Matters
>Cushner, K. & Brislin, R.W. (1996) Intercultural Interactions: a Practical
>Guide. Thousand Oaks: Sage
>Grosjean, F. (2001) The bilingual$B%f(Bs language modes. In J.L. Nicol (ed.)
>One Mind, Two Languages: Bilingual Language Processing (pp. 1-22). Oxford:
>Blackwell
>Herdina, P. & Jessner, U. (2002) A Dynamic Model of Multilingualism:
>Changing the Psycholinguistic Perspective. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters
>Kecskes, I. & Papp, T. (2000), Foreign Language and Mother Tongue.
>Lawrence Erlbaum
>Jenkins, J. (2000) The Phonology of English as an International Language.
>Oxford: Oxford University Press
>Macaro, E. (1997) Target Language, Collaborative Learning and Autonomy.
>Clevedon: Multilingual Matters
>Phillipson, R. (1992) Linguistic Imperialism. Oxford: Oxford University Press
>Satterfield, T. (1999) Bilingual Selection of Syntactic Knowledge.
>Amsterdam: Kluwer
>Weinreich, U. (1953) Languages in Contact. The Hague: Mouton

In addition, she graciously included the table of contents to her forth
coming _Portraits of the L2 User_:

>1 Jasone Cenoz, University of the Basque Country: Crosslinguistic
>interaction in multilinguals: a pragmatic perspective
>2 Istvan Kecskes and Tunde Papp, SUNY at Albany: How to measure the
>effects of L2 on L1
>3 Ulrike Jessner, University of Innsbruck: A dynamic approach to language
>attrition in multilinguals
>4 Pat Balcom, Universite de Moncton: Cross-linguistic influence in the
>bilingual lexicon: middle constructions in English and French
>5 Teresa Satterfield, University of Michigan: Syntactic economy as the
>impetus for transfer
>6 Vivian Cook, Elisabet Iarossi, Nektarios Stellakis & Yuki Tokumaru,
>Effects of the Second Language on the syntactic processing of the First
>Language
>7 Scott Jarvis, Ohio: Probing the limits of L2 effects in the L1: A case study
>8 Jean-Marc Dewaele, Birkbeck College: Productivity and lexical richness
>in monolingual and bilingual speech production'
>9 Aneta Pavlenko, Temple University: L2 influence on L1 in narrat-ives of
>Russian-English bilinguals
>10 Batia Laufer, University of Haifa: L2 effect on the decline of L1
>lexical competence: misuse of collocations and non use of infrequent
>vocabulary
>11 Victoria Murphy and Karen Pine, University of Herts: Effects of L2
>learning on L1 processing and representations in bilingual children.
>12 Graeme Porte, Universidad de Granada: How L1 attrition affects code
>mixing in the mother-tongue output of long-term resident overseas EFL
>teachers

Moreover, she informed me that she is the organizer of and a contributor to
a panel entitled "Bilingual Cognition" (which will also deal with L2
influence on L1) to be held at EUROSLA 2002, Basel:

http://eurosla12.romsem.unibas.ch/home.html

Sylviane Granger pointed out that the following book is relevant in that it
is THE reference book on transfer, although it may not deal specifically
with L2 influence on L1:

>Language transfer : cross-linguistic influence in language learning /
>Terence Odlin.
>Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1989

Finally, from Istvan Kecskes, I learned that he and his wife have recently
published a book that discusses the topic:

>Kecskes, I. & Tunde Papp.  2000. "Foreign Language and Mother Tongue".
>Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

The following reviews of this book are available:

>The English Teachers' Magazine, 2001. Vol. 50. No.2. (Tatsuhiko Toda,
>Kumamoto University, Japan)
>Applied Linguistics, 2001. Vol. 22. No.2 . 284-286 (Jean-Marc Dewaele,
>University of London, UK)
>TESOL Quarterly, 2001. Vol. 35. No.3 (Virginia LoCastro, Universidad de las
>Americas, Mexico)
>TESL-EJ, 2001. Vol. 5. No.1.  (Lola Gran, University of Valencia, Spain)
>Linguist List, Sept. 13. 2000 (Ingrid Pillar, University of Sydney,
>Australia)
>American Journal of Psychology, 2002. Vol. 115. No. 1 (Judith Rosenthal,
>Kean University)

He also mentioned the following articles he has written on the topic:

>Kecskes, I. & Tunde Papp. 2000. "Metaphorical Competence in
>TrilingualLanguage Production".  In Jasone Cenoz & Ulrike Jessner (eds.)
>"Acquisition of English as a Third Language".  Clevedon: Multilingual
>Matters: 99-120.
>
>Kecskes, I.  1998. "The State of L1 Knowledge in Foreign Language
>Learners".  WORD (Journal of the International Linguistics Association).
>Vol. 49. No.3: 321-340

Thanks again to all for your invaluable assistance.

Yours truly,

Kirk Masden
Kumamoto Gakuen University