13.1999, Jobs: Computational Ling: English-Maori, New Zealand

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 29 15:54:32 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1999. Mon Jul 29 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1999, Jobs: Computational Ling: English-Maori, New Zealand

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU		Anita Wang, EMU

          Zhenwei Chen, E. Michigan U. <zhenwei at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Michael Appleby <michael at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:26:12 +1200 (NZST)
From:  Alistair Knott <alik at cs.otago.ac.nz>
Subject:  Computational Ling: English-Maori Machine Translation, New Zealand

Date:  Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:26:12 +1200 (NZST)
From:  Alistair Knott <alik at cs.otago.ac.nz>

UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO Dunedin, New Zealand

Research Assistant/Junior Research Fellow (Grade I)
School of Mäori Studies and the Department of Computer Science
(Two positions)

Fixed Term

The University of Otago invites applications for two positions of
Research Assistant and/or Junior Research Fellow (Grade I) on a
project involving the development of a machine translation system for
Mäori and English for use in Mäori language learning.  These positions
are funded by the Foundation of Research, Science and Technology for
three years.  Ideally, these positions will commence early November
2002, but the starting date is negotiable.

Applicants must be graduates and have qualifications in one or more of
the following: Mäori Studies, Computer Science, Linguistics and
Education.  Previous experience is not essential, but candidates must
have a strong command of the Mäori language and Mäori cultural
expertise for both positions.

Suitably qualified applicants may be appointed at a higher level if
appropriate.

Enquiries should be directed to Dr Alistair Knott, Department of
Computer Science, telephone: 03 479 8299 or by email:
alik at cs.otago.ac.nz or Professor John Moorfield, Te Tumu, School of
Mäori Studies, telephone: 03 479 8677 or by email:
john.moorfield at stonebow.otago.ac.nz.

Applications quoting reference number GG02/562 close on 16 September
2002.

TE WHARE WÄNANGA O OTÄGO
Ötepoti, Aotearoa

Kaiäwhina Rangahau / Kaiäwhina Rangahau Tuarua (Pae I)
Te Tumu me Te Tari Pütaiao Rorohiko
(E rua ngä türanga)

Türanga mö Te Toru Tau

He inoi atu tënei nä Te Whare Wänanga o Otägo kia tono mai te hunga
 mö ngä türanga e rua, mö te Kaiäwhina Rangahau me te Kaiäwhina
Rangahau Tuarua (Pae I) mö tëtahi mahi kia taea ai te whakamäori, te
whakapäkehä hoki ki te rorohiko. Hei äwhina ki te ako i te reo Mäori
tënei mahi.  Mä te pütea Tüäpapa Rangahau Pütaiao e utu ënei türanga
mö ngä tau e toru.  Ko te hiahia ka tïmata ënei türanga ä te tïmatanga
o Nöema, 2002, engari, mä te whakawhitiwhiti whakaaro ka whakatauria.

Me whai tohu o te whare wänanga te kaitono, ä, me whai hoki he
mätauranga nö tëtahi, nö ëtahi ränei o ënei: te ao Mäori, te Pütaiao
Rorohiko, te Mätauranga Wetereo, te Mätauranga ränei.  Kei te pai
mehemea he mahi hou tënei mä ngä kaitono, engari, me matatau ki te reo
me ngä tikanga Mäori.

Ki te whai tohu mätauranga, pümanawa ränei te kaitono ka taea te
whakatü ki tëtahi pae e teitei ake ana i te pae tuatahi.

Tukuna mai ngä uiui e pä ana ki te kaupapa mahi ki a Täkuta
Alistair Knott o Te Tari Pütaiao Rorohiko, waea 03 479 8299,
ïmëra: alik at cs.otago.ac.nz, ki a Te Tüähöanga Matarehu o
Te Mätauranga, ki a John Moorfield ränei o Te Tumu, waea: 03 479
8677, ïmëra: john.moorfield at stonebow.otago.ac.nz.

Tohua te nama GG02/562 ki tö tono.  Ka kati ngä tono ä te 16 o
Hepetema, 2002.