13.1574, Qs: Arabic/Semitic Data, Online/Chinese Pragmatics

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jun 2 22:30:21 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1574. Sun Jun 2 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1574, Qs: Arabic/Semitic Data, Online/Chinese Pragmatics

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Thu, 30 May 2002 17:54:10 +0000
From:  Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at ling.su.se>
Subject:  Arabic/Semitic Data

2)
Date:  Fri, 31 May 2002 09:52:47 -0400
From:  "H. Lin Domizio" <H_Lin_Domizio at brown.edu.>
Subject:  Chinese pragmatics online discussion group

Date:  Thu, 30 May 2002 17:54:10 +0000
From:  Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at ling.su.se>

Dear All,

I need some information /additional data from Arabic and other Semitic
languages.

My first question concerns the occurrence of a suppletive imperative
forms for basic motion verbs. The phenomenon seems recurrent in
varieties of Arabic spoken in North Africa.  Egyptian Arabic taHaala
'Come!"  vs. geet 'come.PERFECTIVE.SG.M'

Tunisian Arabic
 ayaa 'Come!' vs. ji 'come.IMPERFECTIVE.SG.M'

Moroccan Arabic
sir 'Go!'  vs. ghadi 'go.IMPERFECTIVE.SG.M'

I would like to find out if suppletion in imperative exists in other
varieties of Arabic, especially those in the Middle East.

My other question concerns the occurrence of suppletion in the
paradigms of the verb 'say', again in Semitic languages. I am aware of
such suppletion in Hebrew where the suppletive stems follow tense
distinctions and in Maltese, where one stem, qal, is used for the
third person of the perfective and a different one, ghidt, for all
others. I would like to know whether there are any other such cases in
Semitic languages that I might have missed.

Needless to say, I am very very grateful for all information. I won't
be able to post a summary before the end of the summer though because
there are way too many deadlines I have to meet by then. However,
should there be any need for suppletive verbs data, I promise to
promptly share those.

Many thanks in advance and best wishes,
Ljuba

Language-Family:  Semitic; Code: AFF