13.1577, Sum: Gestures and Speech

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 3 14:22:51 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1577. Mon Jun 3 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1577, Sum: Gestures and Speech

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 1 Jun 2002 11:15:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:  julia nikolaeva <lis_julia at yahoo.com>
Subject:  gestures and speech

Date:  Sat, 1 Jun 2002 11:15:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:  julia nikolaeva <lis_julia at yahoo.com>

I am very grateful to all that have answered the
question about gestures.

Here is the summary for all interested in the
question:

>1) What are lexical correlates for beats (or batons,
formless gestures without an independent meaning): is
it simply a simultaneous word (for example a
conjunction at the beginning of a clause or an
adverb), or it's a phrase (NP or VP for example), or
in some cases perhaps a whole clause (when such a hand
movement precedes a clause)?

According to "Nonverbal Communication in Human
Interaction" by Mark L. Knapp and Judith A. Hall
(1997) (Holt, Rinehart &Winston ISBN 0-03-018023-6)
batons are representative of "nonverbal acts that have
a direct verbal translation or dictionary definition,
usually consisting of a word or two or a phrase." (p.
253).
Timo Sowa (University of Bielefeld) suggests that
there is no strong correlation between syntagmatic
structures and beat gestures, since beats usually
correspond (temporally) to one syllable and they may
be regarded as the gestural correlates to emphasis in
language. However, the emphasis may be expressed with
respect to a complex idea that unfolds in language in
a VP/NP or a whole clause.
Gale Stam (National-Louis University) thinks, that
beats are complex. They can occur with words, pauses,
and phrases. It depends on the kind of function they
are performing.