13.1744, Qs: Copula/American Eng, Inflection Patterns/DP/NP

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jun 20 04:10:42 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1744. Thu Jun 20 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1744, Qs: Copula/American Eng, Inflection Patterns/DP/NP

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:40:10 +0000
From:  Brenda Guo <Research139 at aol.com>
Subject:  Copula in Spoken American English

2)
Date:  Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:54:04 +0000
From:  Michael  Hughes <hughes at ling.ucsd.edu>
Subject:  Inflection patterns in the DP/NP

Date:  Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:40:10 +0000
From:  Brenda Guo <Research139 at aol.com>

I am looking for syntactic and/or pragmatic explanations for
constructions like the examples below taken from spoken American
English.  If any of you have read anything about this type of sentence
where a form of the copula appears twice, or even have thought about
it for that matter, I would love to hear what you've found.

Example 1:

Speaker A: "We have items such as Ferrari wine, Ferrari Golf clubs,
and Ferrari Mont Blanc pens in our boutique which are really big
sellers at Christmas."
Speaker B: "People buy those things as Christmas gifts?"
Speaker A: "The thing is is people who are into cars are really into
cars."

Example 2:

Speaker C: "There is a great web site you and your listeners should
take a look at.  You can find it at [web address given].  Can you
guess what that site is about?"
Speaker D:  "I'd guess it offers free computer games."
Speaker C: "What it is is it is developed applications for computers
similar to parental control type software or other content filtering
programs."

Subject-Language: English; Code: ENG