13.588, Sum: Borrowing of Verbs Versus Nouns

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 3 03:08:54 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-588. Sat Mar 2 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.588, Sum: Borrowing of Verbs Versus Nouns

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:25:24 -0500
From:  "george huttar" <george_huttar at sil.org>
Subject:  borrowing of verbs

Date:  Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:25:24 -0500
From:  "george huttar" <george_huttar at sil.org>

     Here's a summary of my inquiry appearing in a Linguistlist posting of
     24 February 2002, which read:

          A standard textbook on historical linguistics, Hock's 1991
          Principles of Historical Linguistics, 2nd ed., p. 386, says:

          "...it has been noted that verbs are crosslinguistically less
          easily borrowed than nouns..."

          Is this a generally accepted claim?  Can you suggest a basic
          bibliography where I could find documentation?

     First, my thanks to the following for their valued responses:

       Fredric W. Field         Pete Unseth              Daniel Villa
       Nicholas Sobin           James A. Walker          John E. Koontz
       Natalia Gagarina         Hal Schiffman            Martin Haspelmath
       Joost Zwarts

     Second, bibliography suggested by respondents, in ascending order by
     date:

       Moravcsik, Edith (1975). Borrowed verbs.  Wiener Linguistische
     Gazette 8:3-30.

       Moravcsik, Edith (1978). Language contact. In J. H. Greenberg, C. A.
     Ferguson & E. A. Moravcsik, eds., Universals of human language, Volume
     1, Method and theory. Stanford: Stanford University Press, pp. 93-122.

       Comrie, Bernard (1981, 1989). Language universals and linguistic
     typology: Syntax and morphology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
     [This turned out to have little on the subject--GLH]

       Sobin, Nicholas (1982).  Texas Spanish and lexical borrowing.  In J.
     Amastae & L. Elias-Olivares, eds., Spanish in the United States:
     Sociolinguistic aspects. Cambridge:  Cambridge University Press, pp.
     166-181.

       van Hout, Roeland and Pieter Muysken (1994).  Modeling lexical
     borrowability.  Language variation and change 6:39-62).

       Gomez, David Zarazua (1995).  Prestamos verbales en el espa¤ol
     chicano.  New Mexico State U. Master's thesis.

       Dressler, W. and M. Lad nyi (1999).  Productivity in word formation
     (WF):  A morphological approach.  Acta linguistica hungarica
     46:103-145.

       Morimoto, Yukiko (1999). Loan Words and Their Implications for the
     Categorial Status of Verbal Nouns.  In Chang, Steve S., Lily Liaw, and
     Josef Ruppenhofer (eds.),  Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Annual Meeting
     of the Berkeley Linguistics Society, Feb. 12-15, 1999: General Session and
     Parasession on Loan Word Phenomena (BLS 25). Berkeley:  Berkeley
     Linguistics Society, 371-82.

       Field, Fredric W. (In press).  Linguistic borrowing in bilingual
     contexts.  Philadelphia/Amsterdam:  John Benjamins.  [Having read
     Chapter 2 and section 4.3, I believe this is a book to look forward
     to--GLH]

       For those who read Russian, recent books of Zems Kaja.

     Third, respondents provided examples from several language contact
     situations confirming Hock's claim:

       Endo (Kenya) has borrowed more nouns than verbs from Swahili.

       US Spanish has borrowed more nouns from English than verbs.

       Dravidian languages "almost never borrow verbs".

       The few loanwords from European languages into Native American
       languages of the Northeastern and Plains areas are typically nouns.

       On the other hand, it was noted that there are many examples of
       verbs being borrowed from one Indo-European language to another, and
       from Latin to Basque--but no indication that these have ever been as
       numerous as borrowed nouns.

     Fourth, suggested explanations and general observations:

       The usual greater morphological complexity of verbs hinders their
       being borrowed.

         Specifically, the usual greater morphological complexity of verbs
         increases the chances of typological mismatch between potential
         source and borrowing language, and thereby hinders their being
         borrowed.

       The referents of nouns are more readily delineable from the
       environment than those of verbs, so nouns are more readily borrowed
       than are verbs.  {cf. literature on child language acquisition on
       why children acquire nouns before verbs--GLH]

       Nouns are semantically less complex than words of other form
       classes.

       Nouns are syntactically more independent than, say, verbs and
       adjectives, which typically rely on tautoclausal arguments (for
       verbs) and head nouns (for adjectives); nouns are also semantically
       more independent of their syntagmatic context than are adjectives.

       Finally, several mentioned that instead of borrowing verbs as such,
       languages borrow (verbal) nouns and compound them with dummy verbs
       like 'do'.

     Again, my thanks to all respondents.  I hope I have represented your
     input accurately in my above paraphrases.

     George Huttar
     george_huttar at sil.org

     SIL & Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology
     Box 24686
     00502 Karen
     Nairobi
     KENYA