13.686, Media: Endangered Langs/U.S. Nat'l Public Radio

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 14 04:11:01 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-686. Wed Mar 13 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.686, Media: Endangered Langs/U.S. Nat'l Public Radio

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:16:25 EST
From:  Steven Bird <sb at unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject:  Endangered languages on U.S. National Public Radio

Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:16:25 EST
From:  Steven Bird <sb at unagi.cis.upenn.edu>

On Friday 8 March, NPR Science Friday ran a program on endangered
languages, involving Larry Kaplan (ANLC), Jerry Edmondson (UT Arlington)
and myself.  The show featured sound clips from indigenous languages in
Africa, Asia and North America.

Here is the description of the show from the Science Friday website:

> You hear about endangered species all the time -- but when was the last
> time you thought about languages being endangered? On the other hand, when
> was the last time you heard someone speaking Woria, or Yevanic, or Areeba?

> The decline of these and other languages around the world is closely
> connected to the issue of globalization. In this hour of Science Friday,
> we'll talk about the issue of endangered languages, hear some of them in
> action, and find out why some researchers are working to understand and
> preserve these dying tongues.

> Some linguists predict that by the end of this century half of the
> languages now spoken in the world will be extinct. How is a culture shaped
> by its language? Does it really matter if we all speak the same language
> one day?

For more information, please see the website for the show:
  http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/2002/Mar/hour2_030802.html

The audio recording for the show is available in the NPR archive:
  http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/totn/20020308.totn.02.ram

Steven Bird

-
Steven.Bird at ldc.upenn.edu  http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/sb
Assoc Director, LDC; Adj Assoc Prof, CIS & Linguistics
Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania
3615 Market St, Suite 200, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2608