13.746, Sum: -heit/keit in German: Addendum

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 21 15:24:48 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-746. Thu Mar 21 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.746, Sum: -heit/keit in German: Addendum

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:28:59 +0200
From:  "Stefan Ploch" <stefan at languages.wits.ac.za>
Subject:  sum: amendment to the summary of -heit/keit in German

Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:28:59 +0200
From:  "Stefan Ploch" <stefan at languages.wits.ac.za>

Re: Linguist 13.702

Recently, when I posted a summary of the responses I received in answer
to my query re. the distribution of -heit/keit in German, I forgot to
include one answer, i.e., the answer I received from Charley Rowe. My
apologies.

This is the missing answer:

Charley Rowe:

It is morphologically determined and morphophonological in origin.

The current state of affairs:

-keit attaches in all cases to -sam, -bar, and -ig, for example, and
presumably to all other suffixes as well. (Probably you can easily find
a list of suffixes to check this out).

-heit would be the default, attaching onto bare adjectives,
participials, and a few nouns.

-heit is older. It occurs in OHG, and the appearance of -keit is not
until MHG. Grimm says -keit derives from -heit via  a reanalysis from
-ic [present-day adj. suffix -ig] + heit.  So, e.g., einig + heit >
einicheit > einigkeit.  It then spread to all other suffixes (presumably
via analogy) as well, hence -igkeit, -samkeit, -barkeit.

By the way, -heit derives from IE *kãi with the meaning
'bright/illuminated'. In Germanic it could stand alone as a noun with
the meaning 'rank, being, type, class, family' etc.

I do have references for you:

Klaus-Peter Wegera: Wortbildung des Frühneuhochdeutschen, in: Werner
Besch, Oskar Reichmann, Stefan Sonderegger (Hrsgg.): Sprachgeschichte.
Ein Handbuch zur Geschichte der deutschen Sprache und ihrer Erforschung,
Berlin 1984/85, 2. Bd., S. 134-8-1355. S. 1349.

Markus, Stefanie. MA Thesis, Uni. Bochum: "Untersuchungen zur
Wortbildung im Mittelhochdeutschen am Beispiel der Substantiv-Suffixe
-heit/-keit und -ung" (mit Susanne Tersteegen).

In general, Wolfgang Dressler's book _Morphonology_? There may be some
additional pearls of wisdom in there. Further research may be found via
the Bibliographie Linguistique.

	Dr Stefan Ploch
	Senior Lecturer
	Linguistics (SLLS)
	University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
	Private Bag 3
	WITS 2050
	South Africa

	stefan at linguistics.wits.ac.za (default/Normalfall), or/oder